Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Must be Registerd

Account Suspended

Must be Registerd

All those wishing to take on a contract and stalk in Scotland on Forestry Commision controlled ground or any other under the 1996 Deer Scotland act in future it seems need to be registered as fit and competent to do so.

All the details can be found here.
    http://www.snh.gov.uk/search-results...etent+register

Regards
    Stu

Alex is it worthwhile making it a sticky?
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 17-09-2010 at 15:58.

Established Poster
    North Lanarkshire, the land that Summer forgot.
    I've just quickly looked at that link and cannot find what you are referring to? That link goes to SNH page for fit and competent but where does it state you have to be on there for FC leases and stalking?

It only applies to those controlling deer under AUTHORISATION, ie. Night or out of season shooting etc.

Stan

Established Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by smullery View Post
    It only applies to those controlling deer under AUTHORISATION, ie. Night or out of season shooting etc.

Stan
    Thats how i read it as well.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by GarethW View Post
    I've just quickly looked at that link and cannot find what you are referring to? That link goes to SNH page for fit and competent but where does it state you have to be on there for FC leases and stalking?
    On the FC application for contract deer control criteria if and when you apply for being considered
    If you aint registered you wont get considered. It appears that the only way you will be considered for contract is that your registered as a fit and competent person.
    Either through notification with DSC2 or by refferees

Attachment 2669

FORESTRY COMMISSIONSCOTLAND

Descriptions and Criteria of Activities.

Contract Deer Controllers – Description

Forestry Commission Scotland (FCS) offer fixed term contracts to suitably qualified contract deer controllers to cull deer to a set target in an agreed area on land managed by FCS. Contracts are normally tendered for an agreed fee for this work.

Criteria to be considered for a contract:

Hold Deer Stalking Certificate level 2 or equivalent, and Trained Hunter status.

A current British Firearm Certificate and legal calibre of rifle for culling all species of deer in Scotland.

Full Commercial Public Liability Insurance, which covers professional working activities to the value of 5 million.

Registered as ‘Fit and Competent’ by Deer Commission Scotland.

Emergency / Basic First Aid and Manual Handling Certificates.

Firearms fitted with sound moderator.

Suitable equipment to comply with the Scottish Wild Venison Assurance Scheme.

Appropriate equipment (including road vehicles, dogs etc) and relevant training (with relevant certification e.g. ATV) dependant upon species culled.

Relevant deer control experience, preferably in woodland situations.

I presume this clause implies all those who partake in a deer management scheme rather than individuals who are named as lease holders or controllers, but from what i can gather individual leases will be phased out in the near future and all deer control will be managed by deer management groups so registration is going to be compulsary in my view.
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 17-09-2010 at 16:04.

Established Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannlicher_Stu View Post
    On the FC application for contract deer control criteria if and when you apply for being considered
    If you aint registered you wont get considered. It appears that the only way you will be considered for contract is that your registered as a fit and competent person.
    Either through notification with DSC2 or by refferees

Attachment 2669

FORESTRY COMMISSIONSCOTLAND

Descriptions and Criteria of Activities.

Contract Deer Controllers – Description

Forestry Commission Scotland (FCS) offer fixed term contracts to suitably qualified contract deer controllers to cull deer to a set target in an agreed area on land managed by FCS. Contracts are normally tendered for an agreed fee for this work.

Criteria to be considered for a contract:

Hold Deer Stalking Certificate level 2 or equivalent, and Trained Hunter status.

A current British Firearm Certificate and legal calibre of rifle for culling all species of deer in Scotland.

Full Commercial Public Liability Insurance, which covers professional working activities to the value of 5 million.

Registered as ‘Fit and Competent’ by Deer Commission Scotland.

Emergency / Basic First Aid and Manual Handling Certificates.

Firearms fitted with sound moderator.

Suitable equipment to comply with the Scottish Wild Venison Assurance Scheme.

Appropriate equipment (including road vehicles, dogs etc) and relevant training (with relevant certification e.g. ATV) dependant upon species culled.

Relevant deer control experience, preferably in woodland situations.

I presume this clause implies all those who partake in a deer management scheme rather than individuals who are named as lease holders or controllers, but from what i can gather individual leases will be phased out in the near future and all deer control will be managed by deer management groups so registration is going to be compulsary in my view.
    Now had you also added the remaining part of that document you get this

DEER CONTROL TENANTS / LESSEE

Description. - Areas of land offered to suitably qualified members of the public to rent for the purpose of controlling deer. Value of rent will be decided as part of the tendering process and normally accounts for the tenant retaining the carcasses.

Criteria to be considered for a lease -

• All persons must hold a current and valid British Firearms Certificate
    with a calibre legal for the species to be controlled.

• All persons must hold a minimum of DSC level 1 (From 1st Jan 2008 lessees will be expected to hold DSC level 2 or equivalent, or achieve this status within an agreed timescale) or equivalent.

• All persons must hold Public Liability Insurance to the value of 5million.(as above)

No where on there is the F&C register mentioned for recreational stalkers bidding for FC Leases.

One is for paid work contract the other is were you pay them for work totally differnt

Aside from wether you need it or not I would suggest anyone with level 2 gets their name on the list. I am on an out of season licence so I had to apply. I faxed the form on Friday and received my authorisation on the following weds so it is easy. My general logic is that things like that can only potentially get more difficult so get on while the getting is good.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by shootingduckdog View Post
    Aside from wether you need it or not I would suggest anyone with level 2 gets their name on the list. I am on an out of season licence so I had to apply. I faxed the form on Friday and received my authorisation on the following weds so it is easy. My general logic is that things like that can only potentially get more difficult so get on while the getting is good.
    I cant disagree with that view one bit, especially if sporting leases are going to be phased out as from what i have heard ,and one things for sure i dont do any out of season culling or night shooting but i am going to get mesen registered thats for sure.

I think its a good idea to go on the list i went on it two years ago and have since been offerd over 2000acres worth of stalking and while i dont get paid for it i do get it for free and i keep the venison.