Pulsar N355 or Phantom 4x60

Ttocs

Looking for opinions on the above. I’m looking for some night vision to replace my photon. Looked at the above (during daylight only sadly). Can’t make my mind up. All I want is a clear image out to 300yards (shoot foxes upto 200 yards) with a nice wide field of view; so not too much magnification. Photons good and has good range with sunranger. However, I frequently encounter problems with nearby vegitation whiting out my image. Presumably this is something a better camera and processor / tube can overcome.

I can see advantages in both the digital and tubed NV units. Whilst price is always an issue, if possible, I’d like to leave that out of any discussion.

What I’d like to know is, why people did or didn’t choose either of these scopes and have they regretted their decision.
Cheers
Nigel

I know its not what you have asked an opinion on but if you are talking about a dedicated night foxing rig try to save your pennies for a Trail XP50. If you buy a digi or tubed unit and end up looking through a mates Trail that is what you will end up buying.
Don`t make my mistake.

With digital NV and an IR illuminator you're always going to have problems with nearby vegetation causing the camera to white out.
Some NV kit deals with it better than others, but it will always be a problem.
As Blueroll says - save your money and buy a thermal riflescope.
Personally, I'd go for a ward WT1-75-3 it has a lot more magnification than the Trail XP50 so you will get a better image of foxes at 200 yards.
It's also the same price as the XP50.

Cheers

Bruce

Hi, thanks for the replies. I have a Helion thermal spotter which I wouldn’t be without. I use it several nights a week so quite experienced at identifying what I’m looking at most of the time. However, personally and I am only speaking for myself, I’d prefer NV on the rifle so I can get a final and confirmed ID before pulling the trigger (having seen a collie pup and a spaniel at 150/200 yards through a thermal; I’d hate to shoot someone’s escaped pooch. I’ve had a few false alarms with cats at range too) I just don’t trust my judgement based solely on thermal imagery. My perfect rifle scope would be a combined thermal/NV unit; but I can’t see that being within my reach any time soon.
What I’m after is a wide field of view with a clear and sharp image to confirm what I believe I’ve seen through the thermal. The Photon, for the most part, achieves this as the image is improved significantly with lense cap closed and 20mm centre popped out. However, the drawback of this setup is the now 20mm objective lense requiring more IR. More IR, more vegitation reflection issues hence my quest for a new NV unit.
Thanks again
N

Hi, thanks for the replies. I have a Helion thermal spotter which I wouldn’t be without. I use it several nights a week so quite experienced at identifying what I’m looking at most of the time. However, personally and I am only speaking for myself, I’d prefer NV on the rifle so I can get a final and confirmed ID before pulling the trigger (having seen a collie pup and a spaniel at 150/200 yards through a thermal; I’d hate to shoot someone’s escaped pooch. I’ve had a few false alarms with cats at range too) I just don’t trust my judgement based solely on thermal imagery. My perfect rifle scope would be a combined thermal/NV unit; but I can’t see that being within my reach any time soon.
What I’m after is a wide field of view with a clear and sharp image to confirm what I believe I’ve seen through the thermal. The Photon, for the most part, achieves this as the image is improved significantly with lense cap closed and 20mm centre popped out. However, the drawback of this setup is the now 20mm objective lense requiring more IR. More IR, more vegitation reflection issues hence my quest for a new NV unit.
Thanks again
N
In that case then you would be better of with Sightron S-Tac 2.5-17.5x56 with an add on NV/Ruby Sunranger IR.

Hi i bought a n 355 but have sent it back twice because it has had a cracked digital screen inside the eye piece and kept losing zero used it on my 222.50

Back