Thread: Cheers JAYB

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar

Cheers JAYB

Well,

Yesterday turned out to be a good day, although nothing shot, I saw 8 Sika Hinds, 1 Roe Doe, 1 Roe Buck and a Red Stag. The Buck was in my sights but I was not happy with the shot, only head/neck available, but I was not steady enough for the shot, so he will see another day. He was a lovely Buck though, very gray in the face but antlers twice ear length. I thought he was an old boy but as the antlers were not going back.......Not sure.

The day started off well, we arrived on the ground about 10 mins before sunrise, although this time was lost in the end. John decided he would spend 20 mins trying to get his bolt fitted. In this time he taught me some new words. Not only did he struggle to fit his bolt, he decided he would strip his floor plate magazine, then struggle to put it back together, all this time, I was crying with laughter, listening to John and his expletives. I decided to dry my eyes and offer some assistance to which John accepted. Once I spent 10-15 seconds putting his rifle back together, he called me some "Nouns" followed by "Adjectives".

We spent about 6.5 hours on the ground then returned back to Johns house for some Sheila spoiling, full fry with copious amounts of Tea/Coffee. (Thanks you Sheila, very much appreciated). After a rest and letting lunch go down it was back on the ground, walking the woodland and finishing in the highseat. This highseat must have had Wayne Davies in it, and he must have peed close by, it does attract the deer, although they were all the wrong ones, nothing but Hinds, one of which I could have poked with my rifle. We had aggreed to meet at 6pm for an update. We met at the car and John had told me had seen a stunning Sika Stag on his way back down. Another couple of brews and we were off again for our final assault on the ground with about an hour and a half left of light. This time a couple of Hinds seen again.

We met about 8pm to pack up and set off, this again caused problems for John thinking he had dropped ammunition, so he was on his hands and knees with a torch only to realise it was where he left it, needles to say, my eyes were welling up again with laughter again and John was teaching me some more words.

It was a very good day out with plenty of laughs, John, you're a Gent and a laugh a minuite. Pass on my Thanks to Sheila, she so knows how to cook!!!

Cheers

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Nice one Stu, just a pity the stags weren`t playing ball mate, aint that always the case.

Jayb and Shiela looked after you again aswell, now that is a guarantee.

Better look next time mate, and it`s also heartening to know that Shiela is keeping her cinnamon buns for us when we are up in a few weeks.

wadas

Thank you Stu, glad you enjoyed yourself, at my expense and learnt something even if it was only to enrich your vocabulary. Yes I couldn't.t get the bloody bolt in, yes I detached the floor plate from the spring clip, by this time my fingers were bloody freezing and I couldn't see then my dear stalking partner who could see despite the tears in his eyes very neatly slipped it all back together for me, bless him , but I got the bolt in.

Anyway we got nice and snuggly on the quad and off we went. I dropped Stu off and moved on to where I wanted to be. I was walking down the main forestry track when I could see there was something different about a bush just off the side of the road. I was standing looking at this bush, I did not want to risk raising my bins - just in case. Anyway I then realised what was wrong with the bush, it was wearing antlers and the white tips of them had caught my eye, then it's face appeared then the whole body, a fine fat and glossy Sika stag it never had much of a head, six points, but it look very substantial in the body department. The haunches looked to be good as it bunched them up and took off at high speed into an impenetrable plantation. How is it these things are so difficult to spot and then after they slowly materialise, it becomes a mystery how you never saw it earlier?

Anyway after lunch it was back to the forest, I kept getting text's from from Stu complaining of seeing hinds only I was heartbroken for him, NOT. I then got a text telling me he was at the car wanting to drink tea, so in an impression of Wadas chasing down cut price tea bags I was off. I was nipping through the wood on my quad, trying not to fall of the bloody thing if truth be told, this forestry track and high speed on a quad do not mix. Anyway it was then I spotted the second stag, it was standing looking at me with a WTF sort of expression on it's face, it stood still long enough for me to count six points, again in good condition with a clean and glossy coat.

Anyway after tea round three produced nothing, I never even saw anything but Stu saw another hind, I think. The best part of the day was when I was returning to the car, not far from it in fact a Barn Owl flew by, lovely.

So there you have, plenty of deer seen, a Sika whistled a couple of times but judging by the wonderful clean condition of the two I saw they have not started "decorating" themselves yet for any serious rutting, and no reds roaring. TJ did not get his deer but we had a good day.

John

PS Wadas I hear from the catering department that there will be some cinnamon buns baked pretty soon.
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Well done you two..

Are we going to see you on the SD week Stu..

Get them caaaaakes sorted Mr + Mrs JayB.. Sadly for the SD boys im up a week early so probably wont be any left..

Terry
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pheasant sniper 1 View Post
    Are we going to see you on the SD week Stu..
    Unfortunatley not, I'm moving to North Yorkshire on the 30th Sept, typical, been up here for 2 years and not managed one yet.

Hope you all have a cracking week. I'm sure the stories will be well published during and after the event.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Quote Originally Posted by tartinjock View Post
    . This highseat must have had Wayne Davies in it, and he must have peed close by, it does attract the deer, although they were all the wrong ones, nothing but Hinds.
    TJ
    TJ, Can't be Waynes Pee, it only brings the right deer. Anyway I believe it is all bottled and sold these days

Great write up, there is nothing quite as funny as a mate making a prawn of himself to make you laugh

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

nice write ups guys, stu its just a shame you didnt video john stripping his rifle he taught me and fester a few new words last year i still dont know what alot of them mean. shame you didnt get a shot between you both. john you do remember if me and wadas are out DO NOT TAKE THE CINNAMON BUNS INTO THE HOUSE

If you think the written accounts of JAYB's expertise as a vulgarian are entertaining, well, I have them on film! Only the fear of being the victim of an "accidental and tragic shooting" this coming winter keep me from posting!

Good hunting, you guys.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by tika.308 View Post
    nice write ups guys, stu its just a shame you didn't video john stripping his rifle he taught me and fester a few new words last year i still dont know what a lot of them mean. shame you didn't get a shot between you both. john you do remember if me and Wadas are out DO NOT TAKE THE CINNAMON BUNS INTO THE HOUSE

If you think the written accounts of Jab's expertise as a vulgarian are entertaining, well, I have them on film! Only the fear of being the victim of an "accidental and tragic shooting" this coming winter keep me from posting!

Good hunting, you guys.~Muir
    See, I have "friends" all around the world, bless 'em the b**st***s

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses