Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does it matter?

Does it matter?

Hi folks.

I've been keeping my cases sorted in groups by number of times reloaded - twice used in one row, thrice fired in another etc, etc.

However, my big dopey oaf of a lurcher, in a rather enthusiastic 'good morning', managed to wipe the tray off the bench (Damn GSD crosses, never had this bother with the whippet x bitch!)

The result is, that all the brass is now mixed up - some of it has been loaded probably 6 times, others twice.

If the brass is all OK, will it matter in terms of accuracy - am I likely to get neck tension issues or owt due to different hardness?

Is there anything I can do to normalise them all?

Cases in question are winchester hornet and I neck size only if that makes a difference.

TIA,

Jamie

My friend , you have been seduced thoroughly by the goddess of the black arts of reloading, chill out & shoot em all regardless, just keep a weather eye on them for signs of age & failure, .......... next time you start with fresh brass , if you really must keep a record of firings, give them a touch with a coloured felt tip pen.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    My friend , you have been seduced thoroughly by the goddess of the black arts of reloading, chill out & shoot em all regardless, just keep a weather eye on them for signs of age & failure, .......... next time you start with fresh brass , if you really must keep a record of firings, give them a touch with a coloured felt tip pen.
    Totally agree with this. The only thing that I would add is, from a consistancy point of view, I would take this as an opportunity to run them all throught the case trimmer and trim them back to an even length. JC

zip lok bags, reasonably cheap on e-bay, unless the dog eats polly bags as well ...ATB callie

Many thanks gents, I've checked them over, neck sized and trimmed, and loaded some, off to the shoot in a bit to check zero. Thanks for the advice.

James

Quote Originally Posted by callie View Post
    zip lok bags, reasonably cheap on e-bay, unless the dog eats polly bags as well ...ATB callie
    Thanks Callie, I had not thought of that either. A very good tip!

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

I must be boring but keep empty cases in plastic slip box and reload in batches of twenty so as I shoot them I place empties in another box and then reload them all at same time. Keep my Lapua brass like this as there are some slight differences between batches. Have been known to sort cases by weight and volume but this is getting a bit ott for fox shooting.

Must say in .223 with neck sizing and sensible loads said brass appears to last forever. ( always start with flash hole ream/deburr so never have to do it again)

D

Cyres:- vey similar, keep all new unfired brass in a plastic box, load just as you do, 20 at a time, when used deprime, necksize, wazz through u/sonic cleaner, dry then bag them with a sticky inside saying how many times fired...callie P.S. have never bothered sorting brass, I don't benchrest, but have some good groupings, good enough for charlie and the rabbits...callie P.P.S when cleaning primer pocket I use a piece of wood dowel this polishes them a treat without enlarging primer pocket, when dowel compress'/shrinks I dip in water this brings it back to size----- that's all folks!!!

Well, went to the shoot yesterday, as I was getting my gear out of the truck to walk up to the 'range', a squirrel sat on the ride just over 100 yards away - it would have been rude not to, so mr squirrel had 40 grains of bad day!

Got to the range, the first 2 shots were a bit wild (I'd cleaned the barrel), then settled into their usual 1/2" groups - result - thanks for the advice chaps.

James

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    AMEN!

Paul