Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: tried to track boar today

tried to track boar today

A friend bow shot a boar a little far back and called me to see if i could track it with my 8th month bmh. The trail was around 16hrs old. We set off well and about 400m into it found the broken tail section of the arrow still seeing no blood. Another 400m on we lost the scent and after circling with the dog a couple of times i couldn't get him motivated again (we had been stalking all morning) or he simply couldn't find any scent. Rather than spoil any more of the trail we left it and he has a more experienced dog coming in tomorrow.

My question is, was i correct to stop where we did or were there any other options open to me? Could i have rested the dog and continued? How many times do people tend to take the dog back to where they had positive scent and retry?

Quote Originally Posted by am View Post

My question is, was i correct to stop where we did or were there any other options open to me?
    the correct question is should i have told my mate to buy a rifle and do it right first time, now a boar with an arrow is out all night cos you both cant be arsed to find it.
    ps yes i dont agree with bow shooting, yes you should have rested the dog and even gone and got the good one tonite.

only my opinion

f.

im a little baffled on this is this boar in the uk as slightly confused here simply due to the fact i was unaware boar in the uk could be hunted with bow.
    How ever even if overseas sorry to say im not a beleiver of bow hunting yes more than powerfull enoguh to do the job in the right conditions i do remember years ago having to dispatch a roe doe heavly pregnant due to the fact she had a cross bow bolt in her pretty sure this was a opertunnity shot from the roadside buy sum cowboys
    scotty

Quote Originally Posted by deerman49 View Post
    im a little baffled on this is this boar in the uk as slightly confused here simply due to the fact i was unaware boar in the uk could be hunted with bow.
    How ever even if overseas sorry to say im not a beleiver of bow hunting yes more than powerfull enoguh to do the job in the right conditions i do remember years ago having to dispatch a roe doe heavly pregnant due to the fact she had a cross bow bolt in her pretty sure this was a opertunnity shot from the roadside buy sum cowboys
    scotty

do you live near original poster Deerman, probably one of his mates other mistakes

f.

another one for the bin admin i think
    op from france, do we need to learn about how they cant be bothered to find an injured animal
    Last edited by centralbeltstalker; 19-09-2010 at 19:36. Reason: added location and reason for comment, sorry for direct outburst but an animal now has a bolt in it out in a field somewhere

central no i was down in devon at the time many moons ago i will admit was worried then about your statement thought you ment i was for the bin
    scotty

central no i was down in devon at the time many moons ago i will admit was worried then about your statement thought you ment i was for the bin
    scotty
    not at all mate, hence my revision.
    f.

Cheers may i say some nice pics you have aswell
    scotty

Cheers may i say some nice pics you have aswell
    scotty
    thanks scotty,

(nice of you to say that mate) some hard work went in there mate to get them, but be careful though your talking to a covert animal rights activist here

thanks frank.

The boar was shot in France where Bow hunting is legal whether you believe it is ethical or not.

The 'good dog' and tracker were not available until the next day.

My question was more about would i have done more harm than good if we had carried on trampling over the trail with what looked like little chance of getting the dog going again.

I personally hunt with rifle and wouldn't choose to hunt with a bow, but it is legal here and people do choose to do it.

The reason for stopping had nothing to with us not being 'arsed' it was about not spoiling the scent for the other dog and i find that comment offensive as i always make every effort to ensure my kills are humane and anything that is injured is followed up as quickly as possible, hence the reason i am training up a blood tracking specific dog and am asking for advice.