Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When eating out...

When eating out...

How many of you query the provenance of the food you eat when dining out? More importantly, what concern do you have that the animals are treated in as humane a way as possible at slaughter? The Farm Animal Welfare Council has long advised on the need for pre-slaughter stunning yet Government fails to act. We now find that an increasing number of catering establishments serve meat which is sub-standard in welfare terms yet make no effort to advise their customers of their decision. More here.

If you care about welfare at slaughter, and you should if you consider yourself a true stalker, next time you dine out, order a take away or attend a funcion, ask whether the meat you are about to eat was produced according to the best possible welfare standards. If it is not, you will unwittingly lend support to an outmoded, inhumane method of slaughter that has no place in a modern, rational and compassionate society.
    /l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\

You are talking about Halal slaughter as discussed in some of the papers yesterday?

Just the usual PC pandering to a loud mouthed minority.....
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Iwrch, I belonged to the Salmon Farm Protest Group for many years and participated actively, these days I content myself with just being choosey about what fish I eat. I always ask if the samon is farmed when I'm offered it to eat, normally a polite refual on my part comes quickly after their answer.

I must admit, the only other meat I have ever refused was an undersized Bass, I cannot remember asking about any other meat than venison, when I asked if it was locally sourced. Only out of interest, not welfare concerns.

I have seen a lamb killed ritually, it was done in a calm and quiet manner, laid on a cratch. It did not struggle or bleat, just slid quietly away to a peaceful death. I cannot say it worried me unduly. Mind, I have never seen a commercial Halal slaughterhouse. I would happily dispatch deer with a knife if I had to.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

I may be a tad cynical but I think its the same as organic food i.e. they will tell you what you want to hear whether it is or isn't. I have met some establishments tho that have thought about how to "prove" it is organic and locally sourced and provide detailed information to substantiate there claims so not all bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Iwrch View Post
    How many of you query the provenance of the food you eat when dining out?
    I do it all the time - Macdonalds, Burger King, KFC - the staff never seem to know anything about the subject though.

Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    Iwrch, I belonged to the Salmon Farm Protest Group for many years and participated actively, these days I content myself with just being choosey about what fish I eat. I always ask if the samon is farmed when I'm offered it to eat, normally a polite refual on my part comes quickly after their answer.

I must admit, the only other meat I have ever refused was an undersized Bass, I cannot remember asking about any other meat than venison, when I asked if it was locally sourced. Only out of interest, not welfare concerns.

I have seen a lamb killed ritually, it was done in a calm and quiet manner, laid on a cratch. It did not struggle or bleat, just slid quietly away to a peaceful death. I cannot say it worried me unduly. Mind, I have never seen a commercial Halal slaughterhouse. I would happily dispatch deer with a knife if I had to.

ft
    Hi Flytie
    Your under sized bass would have almost certainly been farmed,what i always try to impress on people when they talk about farmed fish being a more substainable source of fish is where the hell do they think all the food comes from to feed these fish?,yes that's right they catch it from the sea no wonder all fish stocks are in decline simple food chain stuff really,all farming of fish should be banned as far as i'm concerned.
    ATB Neil.

well I never read the papers or very rarely. Not much in them that is really news so why waste the money on them. So i missed it all.

Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    Mind, I have never seen a commercial Halal slaughterhouse. I would happily dispatch deer with a knife if I had to.

ft
    I have in ireland, its not as bad as you may think, the animal suffers little and they, the butchers, take a great pride not to cause distress to the beast.
    I have whilst on holidays in africa watched a gurka solider slaughter a beast (Goat). the animal suffered very little.
    the facts are, in order to mass produce animals for meat some standards will slip.

f.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnraider View Post
    Hi Flytie
    Your under sized bass would have almost certainly been farmed,what i always try to impress on people when they talk about farmed fish being a more substainable source of fish is where the hell do they think all the food comes from to feed these fish?,yes that's right they catch it from the sea no wonder all fish stocks are in decline simple food chain stuff really,all farming of fish should be banned as far as i'm concerned.
    ATB Neil.
    I looked at the Sea Bass on offer at our local supermarket. I said to my worst half that surely it was under sized as it was about 8 to 10 inches long.
    At that we looked at the label. Product of Greece.
    basil.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.