Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accuracy

Accuracy

What size groups would you expect from a factory rifle at 200, 300 nd 400 yards if it shoots half inch at 100 yards.

I ask this because i dont want to be chasing imposible groups at these ranges if my expectations are unrealistic.

steve

Steve, you would be shooting .5 minute of angle at 100yds, 1" at 200yds, 2" 300yds etc. etc.

http://www.snipercountry.com/articles/mildot_moa.asp

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Flytie

I understand the maths, but is it realistic to expect a rifle that shoots .5 inch at 100 yards to shoot 2 inch at 300 yards?

thanks steve

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by musty View Post
    ....but is it realistic to expect a rifle that shoots .5 inch at 100 yards to shoot 2 inch at 300 yards?....
    Yes, why wouldn't it be? So long as conditions are constant, there is nothing to change performance.

I'm sure if you went into the physics of it, air temperature where the firing point is to where the target is, this would add a variable. Ground temperature would add a difference, density of air, but for shooting less than probably 800m, I'd say that, if there is no wind and you do your bit (No trigger pulling, snatching, correct breathing etc..) I'd say it's fair to assume that yes, a .5 MOA at 100m will increace by .5 MOA at every 100m increment, so a 5" group at 1000m is still shooting with a .5 MOA.

I'm probably talking complete C**p, I'm sure someone will let me know otherwise, but that's my understanding of it.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Quote Originally Posted by tartinjock View Post
    Yes, why wouldn't it be? So long as conditions are constant, there is nothing to change performance.

I'm sure if you went into the physics of it, air temperature where the firing point is to where the target is, this would add a variable. Ground temperature would add a difference, density of air, but for shooting less than probably 800m, I'd say that, if there is no wind and you do your bit (No trigger pulling, snatching, correct breathing etc..) I'd say it's fair to assume that yes, a .5 MOA at 100m will increace by .5 MOA at every 100m increment, so a 5" group at 1000m is still shooting with a .5 MOA.

I'm probably talking complete C**p, I'm sure someone will let me know otherwise, but that's my understanding of it.

TJ
    Souds pretty good to me

Quote Originally Posted by musty View Post
    Flytie

I understand the maths, but is it realistic to expect a rifle that shoots .5 inch at 100 yards to shoot 2 inch at 300 yards?

thanks steve
    Steve, it rather depends on the "nut behind the butt" and technique as to whether you can shoot to the rifles potential. Our armed forces spend quite a bit of money teaching a few very talented individuals to shoot nasty men at very long ranges indeed, http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle7113916.ece .

If you do some searches on this site you will find pictures of targets that folks have shot, some of them are ragged holes at 100yds. On the Moody's Down range I once managed to shoot a ten shot group at 600yds that you could cover with a fag packet, with a heavy barrelled L1A1. I doubt I could do it now as I am much older and not nearly as strong or fit as I was. I can produce some sub-MOA groups at 100yds occassionally (not always) with my Sako when practising. It does enough to ensure clean kills on the deer, and that is all that worries me these days.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Steve

Both my rifles in my gallery will shoot sub inch at 100yds. At 400m shooting prone without any rear bags, I expect to be hitting a rugby ball shape approx 16 inches wide and 8 inches high. Occasionally I hit the 3 inch white circle in the centre of the target, but not often. A number of factors influence my performance, firstly the wind; secondly, my technique; thirdly, my eyesight and finally the quality of my reloads. Typically I will be using AMax or Sierra Match Kings.

I suggest you go and see how you get on.

Good luck. JCS

The problem I allways have is finding a suitable aiming point on the target. for checking my zero i use a 1/2"orange dot, I can see this well enough to aim at as far away as 180m but after that the cross hairs obscure the target. I have spent ages (at work) making fancy diamond shaped targets on Excell in different sizes to help me try my grouping at 250 and 300 but if they are big enough to see then i cant expect to get a better group than the size of the aiming point.
    if all things were equal then yes 1moa is 1moa regardless of range (untill the bullet becomes unstable)
    you can have great fun trying it out. set a decent size board up at 350m, make yourself a some wind flags, pick the calmest day you can, set the flags so they are visable in the bottom of the scope without lifting your head, try and shoot the same condition every time (that is make sure the flags are doing the same thing everytime you shoot) then just for fun shoot a few with the flags in the oposite condition. this will show you why shooting 1/2 MOA at long range with stalking kit is not easy.
    Sorry to hijack the thread, carry on.

Ezzy

Ezzy

Here's a target to try. If anyone wants the Excel version. PM me an e-Mail address.

Rgds JCS

There are some good links to free targets, I use the 200m red bull one on here;
    http://www.6mmbr.com/targets.html

ft