Crow, it's whats for dinner.

A Guy Out West

I have to admit it looks really good, I couldn't eat it though. This guy has some awesome recipes, the next time I'm in the UK, I'll be looking for them. First one will be Toad In a Hole.

I love watching Scott Rea video and love his ethos of trying to get the average layman to take more interest in their own food!

Even if you are an experienced foodie there is something to take away from his channel .....and certainly would help any aspiring hunter to get best from their catch

If interested YouTube Scott Rea or Scott Rea project

I’m sure he’s on here

Paul

Good post. I have 100+ young rook breasts in the freezer and I want to try something other than rook pie with them. Not tried crow but young rooks are easily as good as pigeon to me.

I don't. We don't have rooks over here. I'm guessing they are smaller and don't eat as much dead stuff as crows?????

I often wonder if people know the difference between Crows and Rooks.

You are probably right and it can be difficult sometimes with Carrion Crows and Rooks, especially youngsters. Where I live we don't have any Carrion Crows they are all Hooded so it's quite easy. As far as what they eat, I think most of the crow family are about the same. They are all opportunists and will eat a mix of anything from carrion to seeds and fruit.

I love watching Scott Rea video and love his ethos of trying to get the average layman to take more interest in their own food!

Even if you are an experienced foodie there is something to take away from his channel .....and certainly would help any aspiring hunter to get best from their catch

If interested YouTube Scott Rea or Scott Rea project

I’m sure he’s on here

Paul

I've followed Scott Rea for a few years now and can only echo what Paul has just said.
This video also takes a little more away from those who think we shooters just kill for the sake of it! I shall certainly be trying it!!!:thumb:

We have a great programme over here called Nak & Æd. (you can see a couple of clips on youtube but unfortunately not complete programmes) It goes out on DR1 the equivalent of BBC1 (except they are not anti hunting). it is a combined hunting / cooking show.

Each week Jørgen (the hunter) and Nicolaj (the chef) go out to hunt or fish for their dinner. They usually only have a day for the hunt and if they don't get what they are after they eat whatever Jørgen has brought with him as a standby. That could be a musk rat, moles or a racoon dog or some other equally tasty delight. It's a very popular programme over here that has been running for years. They have travelled all over the world including; Australia, various countries in Africa, the USA, Canada. They have been to the UK a couple of times for Muntjac and Red Deer. If they hadn't got the muntjac, squirrel was on the menu.

Just tried the second recipe from this video last night with rook breasts. I didn't marinade them first but simply dipped them in seasoned flour, egg and then breadcrumbs. They really were very good. It makes a change from using them only for pies.

A bit like:
If you see two Rooks, they are crows.
If you see more than two Crows, they are Rooks.

I think the rhyme about four and twenty black birds baked in a pie, is all about young Rooks.

'A Crow in a crowd is a Rook!'

I don't think a Carrion Crow would taste very good.
MS

I just watched an episode of Nak & Æd (kill & Eat) last week where they shot and cooked Hooded crows. Before I tried the rooks I wouldn't have thought of eating them but now I think I would give it a try.

Back