Thread: Shooting Gazette and bad examples

Shooting Gazette and bad examples

I don't read Shooting Gazette regularily but have just picked up the Feb issue to read a jaunty story about a roebuck neck shot at 306 yards.

Surely doing anything other than stalking in nearer sets a bad example to any novice stalkers does it not? There wasn't any special circumstances such as it was wounded...

I know this should really be adressed to the editor but I guess it's a bit late now, did anyone see if there was any complaints published in the March edition?

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by NickJ View Post
    I don't read Shooting Gazette regularily but have just picked up the Feb issue to read a jaunty story about a roebuck neck shot at 306 yards.

Surely doing anything other than stalking in nearer sets a bad example to any novice stalkers does it not? There wasn't any special circumstances such as it was wounded...

I know this should really be adressed to the editor but I guess it's a bit late now, did anyone see if there was any complaints published in the March edition?

Nick
    So here we have some stalker if I can call him that,taking a neck shot at 300 plus,bad example ? shouldnt have been published it the first place for any novice to pick up on .

Gave up on the gazette years ago. Should be renamed the "Shooting Tattler" naff all but nouveau's driven shooting, with the odd bit of stalking chucked in.

What ever happened to rough shooting? Does it exist anymore beyond the wilds of the western fringes?
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Unfortunately not....game shooting just isn't worth the column inches unless the bag is over 250 birds, all shot at 80 yards+, and ideally with 36 grammes of 4 shot through 32 inch barrels with full & full choke. There used to be a rough shooting column in the Shooting Gazette, but it soon disappeared when the writer expressed similar sentiments....

Not walked up but a good day of driven game at, imo, good value

Day starts at 9.30 at this time of year. Hands are shaken and cups of coffee and dogs taking a morning constitutional abound.
    Guns a gathered by the keeper and, with suitable ribbing, pegs are drawn usually to the tune of 'I see golden b**ll**ks is in the gravy AGAIN!'
    First drive is normally a large pit which is fed and a number of reared duck are released on there.
    First day and with a goodly wind the wild duck were off like rockets almost as soon as the start horn was blown, several falling to god knows what size and weight of shot were chucked at there general direction ( I even bagged a few!)
    Same script on several more pits with the birds really going well on the wind and the guns being selective giving the reared duck a chance to get going.
    A quick break was had at about 11 with a fine 3 week old sloe gin to hand
    After lunch it was on to the partridge and what partridge they were.
    Absolute bullets coming out of the spuds and rocketing , for the most part, past. I'm sure one waved a finger at me as it flew through unscathed. I did manage to catch up with a few on subsequent drives.
    The keeper rewarded we set off on our separate ways (the days of off to the pub having been long forgotten).

For the record..70 bird day for 200 and we didnt shoot 70 birds
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Lim, six or seven of us used to take days like that on a local shoot half a dozen times a year, up to a 100 birds max. Then it was 150 birds minimum, then 200. We stopped going.

Last I heard there was a syndicate taking 10 400 bird days. It has long ceased to be sport.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

well for that reason, is why on our shoot we keep it small and friendly. its about the day out not the bag. if we get 20 birds where as happy as 100 birds. you still take the p+*ss when your mate next to you misses a sitter and laugh your head off when one of you stands in a puddle and it goes straight down your welly, top. I cant wait till were out again ,..Not long now