Can I sell my Reflex

Grant.N

I have just bought a Jet Z compact and so have a Reflex Mod in Good condition.
Question is can I sell the Mod as it is not proofed ??
Any advice will be welcome.

I can I sell the Mod as it is not proofed ??

There is no legal requirement to proof a Moderator; they were not even invented when the proof act was written. One Proof House did try to take Jackson rifles to court on the issue but dropped the case before it made court.

Sell away buddy.

ATB

Tahr

The interesting thing is that though they are governed by the same FAC rules as rifles, they have no identity requirement (serial numbers) so getting rid of one and proving who you gave it to is a minefield. You report the unit "off" to your Force and the other guy doesn't report it "on" to his Force. All you have is his FAC number as you have seen his certificate when you handed over :) Room for naughtiness......

Stan

you should check you certificate as you may well find you are breaking the law by 2 centerfire mods

trouble:- how can he be breaking the law, his FAC states that he has "X" rifle with "X" serial No. and moderator "unknown" the fact that he has a mod on his ticket is for the use of not the ownership of, as has been previously stated a mod does not need to be proofed therefore has no serial No. this proof marking is a con used by a lot of RFD's, not just small ones, there's a big RFD not to far from me, sounds like a wreath of flowers, caught me out, told me it was the law for mod to be proofed, cost me £60, had to have mod and rifle sent over to Brum to be proofed. Won't be caught again!! If he has 1 rifle he can own as many mods as he likes for it as he can only use 1 at a time and at that time the mod becomes part of the rifle and is classed as a firearm, as I've stated in another thread, when mod is off the gun its just a bit of scrap metal but if you use it as a cosh it becomes an offensive weapon, it becomes an offence only if he decides to sell the rifle and mod together and the mod hasn't been proofed, very, very grey area, even BASC won't give a definitive answer, it's a good job there's folk like jacksons willing to stand up against silly prosecutions

And the proof house (london) proof tests and stamps mods for free, as long as it is done
at the same time as the rifle.

Neil. :)

Well the London proof house and the met Police tried to do Gunshop East Barnet and it's owner Joe Beatham over this and lost heavily and that was over 5 years ago now and they still try it on. All they can see is the lost revenue :evil:. The P-H I brought threaded is not re-proofed and the P8 is not proofed and neither have to be ;).

on your ticket under 1 firearms possessed, or authorised to be purchased or aquired it will state in clear english what you own or are authorised to own ,ie 1 223 moderator make and number unknown . If mr plod checks up out of the blue maybe after a fire , accident or such and you are in possession of 2 moderators it is quite clearly an offence

Trouble
You are spot on a moderator is classed as a firearm it matters not a jot if its on a rifle or not in Scotland anyway.

or the rest of the ehglish speaking world , no offence sir , if only these clowns would take the time to read the certificate they would know they are at risk of a heavey fine . The dealer is also at risk by his own actions serial number or not

trouble:- you are saying that because I have 2 rifles and 4 mods I'm breaking the law? You are wrong, very wrong, FAC states, 1 B.A. 22 rimfire rifle, +1 mod "unknown", 1 B.A. 223 cf rifle +1 mod "unknown", I also own own three air rifles, all 12 ft lb legal, one with factory mod, one screwed for mod, so I've got 3 screw on 22 cal mods, all purchased legally, and all used legally ... callie

Callie,

You will find that Air Rifle "Moderators" are a marketing term, same as the use of the term "Silencer".

They are not suitable for use on rimfire/centrefire rifles. Some may get by, but that is more by luck than design.

If you have AUTHORITY to POSSESS one .270 Moderator (because that is what you applied for, was granted and then entered on your FAC) then that is what you can purchase and possess. You will need a one for one variation to change it for a larger calibre should you so desire.

Stan

I have just bought a Jet Z compact and so have a Reflex Mod in Good condition.
Question is can I sell the Mod as it is not proofed ??
Any advice will be welcome.

grant me old mate the chap who sold you the replacement should have explained this to you and either kept the original or done a deal with you . Go back to gilsan? and ask him mate , all the best

You know what the certificates now say C/F moderator as it seems the Home Office has woken up to the fact that a .308 moderator can also be used on any calibre smaller than .308 so my certificate now says one C/F wildcat. now mine is actually a .243 one due to a slight mix up but it's fine up to 6.5mm if i wish to use it on the .270 i'll have to buy a new part.

No variation required ;) the thing with the Wildcat being modular is that you can buy new bits for it. extend the baffles etc. I just need the baffle stack which is the bit that screws onto the barrel then I can swap them over for use on the .270 but still have one mod I had been thinking about making a simple expansion chamber/resonator type myself. This type uses no baffles.

Last edited:
FT,

Same as mine for my 6.5. However, my RFD and I both reported the make and model and calibre to Firearms dept. I have two 6.5 but only authority to use on one. (Before anyone asks I have the "other" for open sights stalking). Now, I could sell it and get the 6.5 version but that is a different beast, and I would have reported sale of the .30 cal.

Stan

I phoned the proof house regarding last year to ask re mods and proofing and was told if you sell an unproofed mod with a proofed rifle then you are breaking the law. BUT its perfectly legal to sell the rifle one day, then sell the unproofed mod the next day as they were seperate transactions. So I guess you can sell an unproofed mod so long as someone has it on their cert.

I phoned the proof house regarding last year to ask re mods and proofing and was told if you sell an unproofed mod with a proofed rifle then you are breaking the law. BUT its perfectly legal to sell the rifle one day, then sell the unproofed mod the next day as they were seperate transactions. So I guess you can sell an unproofed mod so long as someone has it on their cert.

Sorry but as I see it the proof House are like the Police they are telling you what they want it to be not what the courts say the law is. Hence their lost cases against Beatheam and I believe Jacksons. All they seem to see is the lost revenue. remember the proof house tell us not to overload our rifles for safety then wanted to get a law passed requiring us to pay them every 3 years for them to do just that as they wanted a re-proof every three years by law. It killed a lot of faith and trust in them when i found that little snippet out. The idea it seems started on the continent but they crabbed it with gusto.

Back