Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: What do they smell like?...

  1. #1

    What do they smell like?...

    All you experienced boar men will be able to answer my rather odd question which is .....What does a boar smell like ?.
    We have had reports of boar in my lease area and the chance of running into one seems possible. I have always wondered if they smell as strongly as their appearance suggests.
    I suppose an old boar would have a stronger aroma than say a year old sow?... Is it a conventional 'farmyard pig smell'..?
    Does a roast boar smell of roast pork ?... Do they make good crackling?
    I await your comments...
    S.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Schiehallion View Post
    All you experienced boar men will be able to answer my rather odd question which is .....What does a boar smell like ?.
    We have had reports of boar in my lease area and the chance of running into one seems possible. I have always wondered if they smell as strongly as their appearance suggests.
    I suppose an old boar would have a stronger aroma than say a year old sow?... Is it a conventional 'farmyard pig smell'..?
    Does a roast boar smell of roast pork ?... Do they make good crackling?
    I await your comments...
    S.
    They smell strongly of "Maggikraut" which is a herb known as Lovage in English.
    Often in Germany the hunter shouts out when on a driven hunt "I smell them" to warn the other hunters to get ready.
    Martin

  3. #3
    Smell like outdoor pigs, not indoor pigs but stronger. Have been told I should post you my old stalking trousers as they do still pong abit.
    When hunting/stalking boar, use ALL your senses, I used to smell them before I saw them 90% of the time,hear them in the undergrowth, or rooting in the crops.
    Don`t make the same mistake as I made a few yrs ago, I was out one night and I was sure I could smell them, and kept watching and listening but none showed, this went on for couple of hours, then, I happened to scratch my head with my lamp, and felt somethin damp, yep there was pig **** on the lamp, and the smell was following me around
    When I was on my own, I wasn`t too worried about being winded, as my stalking gear I hid from the washing machine, and 90% of my hunting was for pigs, so I blended in nicely.

  4. #4
    John DM Said

    I wasn`t too worried about being winded, as my stalking gear I hid from the washing machine, and 90% of my hunting was for pigs, so I blended in nicely.


    Tell me about got a bit strong in the Range Rover with the heater on saying that the Range Rover had a certain piggy smell all of its own in the end

    As John said you can smell them where they have been rooting around especialy a big boar.Quite a piggy smell suprise suprise

    John,
    I remember one seriously stinking thing you shot, it tainted every deer in my fridge for a month after

  5. #5
    Saw this thread titled "What do they smell like" and Waynes name thought they might be refering to his under garments not that I have any knowledge of them

    Off soon mate, hope to catch up later in Dorset!

    Best

    Sikamalc

  6. #6
    I remember the one your on about Wayne, Chap from Ireland,Sam, shot it in the eye, as it was rooting in a pile of chicken sh** !!! I got rid of it asap, and I happened know an okėsh bloke who had a fridge

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sam3.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	196.8 KB 
ID:	2742

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    Saw this thread titled "What do they smell like" and Waynes name thought they might be refering to his under garments not that I have any knowledge of them

    Off soon mate, hope to catch up later in Dorset!

    Best

    Sikamalc
    Malc
    You know I dont wear any underwear well apart from the occasional blaser log'd leather thong

    Might be passing through Dorset in about 3 weeks if your about??

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by john.d.m View Post
    I remember the one your on about Wayne, Chap from Ireland,Sam, shot it in the eye, as it was rooting in a pile of chicken sh** !!! I got rid of it asap, and I happened know an okėsh bloke who had a fridge

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sam3.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	196.8 KB 
ID:	2742
    It did bloody stink, I remember Sam I think rattling your .458 down my range. Were you coming over ?????

  9. #9
    Answer to first question, yes that was Sam, he`s emigrated to Canada now.
    Answer to second question.. NEVER !! ok, unless I`m told to

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE DAVIES View Post
    Malc
    You know I dont wear any underwear well apart from the occasional blaser log'd leather thong

    Might be passing through Dorset in about 3 weeks if your about??
    Ay up mate, that might work!! I may be down that way early part of the week beggining the 25th Oct. If not hope to catch up later in the year. Off to Scotland this weekend with American clients and then some crowd of a site called SD

    All the best mate

    Sikamalc

Similar Threads

  1. do i smell ?
    By 1289drew in forum Introductions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 17-12-2008, 16:58

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •