Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Honk honk

Honk honk

Does anyone else here dislike the smell of fallow at the point of gralloch? Yuk. Mostly makes me think, after the twitching has ceased: good, a clean shot. But now, oh great, up to the elbows in stinky stink. Rather like wrestling a rank duvet. In fact, it takes me right back to my student days.
    KevinF -

It's not the smell that gets me...I bloody allergic to there fur!!

bucks smell worse in the rut the taste is through the whole carcuss
    colin

Quote Originally Posted by rem708cdl View Post
    bucks smell worse in the rut the taste is through the whole carcuss
    colin
    +1

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

I hate the smell of any dead deer!
    Sometimes I think I may be in the wrong job!
    Reds stags I really dislike as they smell like ****ty cows!
    However, the smell produced when sawing off antlers makes me wretch every time for some strange reason!
    MS

To be honest I really do not mind the smell of dead deer or getting all bloody....

But having to deal with pheasants is when I find my self thinking is this really worth it ??? They really stink !!!!

Cheers + ATVB

Philip

I love it, cant get enough, gralloching is part of the enjoyment for me...... Have to agree with Monkey Spanker about the antlers though.

Nothing smells like rabbit guts, but I found the deer gralloch to have a faintly sweet odour, a little like hay, the smell from their coat is a little more bitter.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I only have roe on my land and find they dont smell at all. Or maby i have a crap nose???

ATB

I really don't mind the gralloch on a normal deer, of any species, but fallow bucks in the rut stink! There are worse smells, I once had to get a long dead calf out of a cow. With a wire saw! On a bad day I can still smell it, 30 years later

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.