Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norma Ammo Worth the Premium?

Norma Ammo Worth the Premium?

Having found a good range of 6.5x55 Ammo, it seems to be being offered in three tiers-

1) Norma Alaska 156 grain/BT 120 grain 33/20
    2) Winchester Super X 140 grain 24/20
    3) PPU 139 grain/156 grain 12.50/20

I know to an extent this will be dictated by what the rifle "likes", but on the whole is Norma ammo worth the premium? I am going to make a trip to this RFD and stock up, so I want to make the right choice. The ammo is going to be used for everything from long range/windy-day foxing to hillside reds and boar if I can get the variation, and everything in between. Most commonly however it will be used for lowland roe and munty stalking. I don't expect to cover all these uses in one, cartridge, although that would be great, but it does seem Nosler BTs for fox up to roe and Norma Alaska for everything bigger would be an obvious way forward if it really is worth the extra dosh.
    Last edited by liamnjs; 22-09-2010 at 21:05.

My 6.5x55 wouldn't do 2 inchs with privvi and loves norma to bits here is a 3 shot group from about 85 yards (thought it was 100 until i re-paced it out.)

So for me norma is worth the premium but non the less i will be switching to reloading soon.

George

if your going to shoot the crap out of the range no ,, if your using it for stalking yes

Is it good value for money? As you say, if it shoots better than the rest it might be, but if there's only 0.25" in it (or even 0.5") at 100yds, you need to work out your priorities according to likely use.

Depending on your barrel length, the 156gr pills might well be very loopy at longer range on the hill. My 6.5x55 shoots 3 bullets touching with Norma 120gr BTs, and I think they are worth the premium. It didn't get on with bullets heavier than 140gr at all, and of those the Norma Nosler 140 was again the best, although the RWS Doppelkern ain't bad.

American loads it didn't like, and seemd to be loaded rather wussily in any case.

When you compare it to the 'worth' of what you are shooting at, what price do you put on accuracy? If it works in your rifle better than any other, then surely it is worth it?
    Also, if you are considering reloading eventually, the Norma brass will certainly be better than the others!
    MS

I use Norma ammo in a couple of my rifles and, in my opinion, it seems to be more consistant and better quality than some of the others I have used. I have never had any dodgy crimps, mal-formed bullets or cases split - unlike some of the other stuff on the market. Never had a flier when zeroing either, I think it is worth the extra dosh but your rifle got to 'like' it!

A lot of enthusiasm for the Norma then. Am I right in thinking the Alaska would have expansion issues on smaller deer and fox?

Quote Originally Posted by liamnjs View Post
    A lot of enthusiasm for the Norma then. Am I right in thinking the Alaska would have expansion issues on smaller deer and fox?
    In my limited experience no it won't. http://www.norma.cc/content.asp?Typ=...Norma%20Alaska

http://www.norma.cc/sortimentladd.asp?Kaliber=6,5x55 Swedish Mauser&Lang=2

I found both the Alaska and the Oryx to work well on both fallow and roe. The Oryx will stop boar when correctly placed.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by liamnjs View Post
    I did have the misfortune to pencil a roe buck with a 180gn Alaska in .308. Perfect shot placement but for it being precisely between two ribs. Other shots were fine, but its always the less than pefect that nag away, making you wonder whether you're using the appropriate kit.

On the other hand, an excellent round on muntjac with very little meat damage yet drop-on-the-spot performance.
    /l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\

Quote Originally Posted by groach1234 View Post
    My 6.5x55 wouldn't do 2 inchs with privvi and loves norma to bits here is a 3 shot group from about 85 yards (thought it was 100 until i re-paced it out.)

So for me norma is worth the premium but non the less i will be switching to reloading soon.

George
    George, accuracy is only attained when using proper base measurements, the first measurement you should have is how far is the poi away from the breech.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!