Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Namibia the journey begins. Part one

Very nice! Look forward to part three.

Enjoying the read. Sounds like you have plenty of oryx there and nice to be hunting on low fenced land knowing that everything is 100% wild.

Part 3 Eland.
    We arrive at Okaturua about 12.30 p.m. this will be walk and stalk. We travel about 3-4 miles off the main road down dusty tracks. The first thing we notice are the amount of baboons. We are greeted by Mieka the daughter of the owner. Her husband ,Henner, is on business but wont be long. We are shown to our rooms and the standard is very impressive all with on suite bathrooms "big enough to play base ball in". And so to lunch or dinner if like me you have northern roots.
    Henner arrives all 6 foot 6 of him an huge guy but very warm. We agree that we go for an evening stalk and meet up at about 3.30 p.m.As I wanted to zero the 30-06. I bought a box of RWS 180 grain specialy for the Eland. First shot at 100 yards was 1 inch above the bull bloody hell happy days. We hunt 2 guys with 1 P.H. my friend and I with Henner the other 2 with his worker who is also a P.H. Andreas definitly bush man his tracker also bush man is Johanous.
    I agree that my friend should have the opertunity to shoot first. We get close to eland but no cigar getting dark so home for beer and wine. One of the other chaps gets a Zebra.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1058.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	448.8 KB 
ID:	97531next morning we get to a high point to spot game and that is quite a task as we are in the middle of 14000 hectres of unfenced wilderness apart from low stock fences. Soon my eyes spot movement and it is eland Henner too has them so off we go cut this short we got busted twice and I still don't know how such a massive animal can just disappear and be so elusive.

We get back to the farm for late lunch to be met by my friends they are like a dog with perverbial as they had shot 2 baboons from the garden while having their lunch. They then are off for their afternoon hunt and I notice baboons about 400 metres away in some trees and sitting on top of a water tank. I grab the 243 which has already got the bi-pod on. I get to about 280 metres lay down on the track settle behind my CZ I can see 2 in the tree and aim at the one on the left Crack! he drops like stone and the rest scarpering in seconds.
    No luck on the Eland that evening But my friend with Andreas comes home with an Eland cow much celabration.
    Next day we swap P.H. and partners as the other 2 had taken their animals. Well we climbed a cliff to get a view and we see straight away Eland and Oryx with a couple of warthogs there is also a troop of baboons making their way to the area. Lots of observing on our part and we also notice a huge Kudu bull. The eland wonder off a few hundred yards and lay down. Andreas says that stalking to them is not a good idea as they would see our approach so we go for early lunch.
    2 p.m. see,s us back out to the same spot and you guessed it not a bloody eland to be seen.....or so I thought, Andreas spots them bloody miles away! Back to the truck load up with water this is going to be tough.
    Well after 2 hours we got busted as the wind changed at the point we were only about 200 yards away. we go to a cliff climb it and spot them again Game on! By now I am out of water and my hands and fore arms are scratched to hell and I am thinking it is just not going to be my trip for eland when Andreas beckons me close to him. I quickly and quietly move to him and I am greated with a big smile the eland are about 150 yards in amongst the trees etc. I recon we have about 40 minutes of daylight left as he puts the sticks up. I cannot see its head or its arse and my sight zone is like threading a needle through the trees he is happy for me to take the shot so I try to place the shot as far forward as I can without hitting a tree. Boom its a hit she jumps and spins round then trots off 20 feet and stands still Andreas is happy with the shot placement and we wait. About 10 minutes later she wobbles and lays down I think I have shot her in the lung. we walk round and closer so that I have a good view of her shoulder and it is slightly forward giving me perfect heart shot at about 70 yards I sqweese the trigger and one of the most intence and physically demanding stalks is over. You all know how it feels.
    Turns out my first shot was a little back but got her lung.
    I will sum up our week tomorrow.
    Tusker

Very excellent, well done. Some fine work with your .243!

Is there a reason you don't hunt with just the 30-06 then you are ready for anything
    You can guarantee if you have .243 then something bigger will come along
    Guess .243 is good for baboons at the homestead
    What do the Namibians generally shoot with
    Humans are pre wired with fight or flight response
    Great Grandad fought, Grandad fought.
    For the sake of my Grandchild I wish for Less Flight responses entering Europe

Are the Zebra that you were after wild or on fenced farms?

Quote Originally Posted by kieran222 View Post
    Are the Zebra that you were after wild or on fenced farms?
    All the game including Zebra is totally wild not a fence in sight other than low stock fence.
    Tusker

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunting View Post
    Is there a reason you don't hunt with just the 30-06 then you are ready for anything
    You can guarantee if you have .243 then something bigger will come along
    Guess .243 is good for baboons at the homestead
    What do the Namibians generally shoot with
    The reason I took the 243 was for Springbok and Baboons. I only took the Warthog and Oryx because they presented a very good broadside I would have passed up if they did not. I would certainly not have tried at the Kudu or the Eland even though I know they have been taken with the 243. The PH owner had a 7 mm rem mag. Andreas had a 30-06.
    Tusker
    Last edited by tusker; 14-06-2018 at 20:10. Reason: More info

Quote Originally Posted by tusker View Post
    The reason I took the 243 was for Springbok and Baboons. I only took the Warthog and Oryx because they presented a very good broadside I would have passed up if they did not. I would certainly not have tried at the Kudu or the Eland even though I know they have been taken with the 243. The PH owner had a 7 mm rem mag. Andreas had a 30-06.
    Tusker
    I think you've provided an excellent demonstration of the precision use of the .243 Winchester. Bloody good ones. A mix of game from the largish varmint, to the medium ungulate. Which is precisely what the .243 Winchester was designed to achieve. To quote Sierra "...the 243 was intended to serve as a true dual-purpose varmint / deer cartridge... tremendously versatile... well suited to game from varmints to mule deer..." It goes on to talk about the requirement for placement and the need to pass up questionable or less-than-perfect shots. You placed your shots at between 150-300yds and achieved instant incapacitation. The Oryx weighs an average of 175lbs, the Mule Deer 200lbs. Perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by tusker View Post
    All the game including Zebra is totally wild not a fence in sight other than low stock fence.
    Tusker
    Very interesting. Is there some sort of management plan agreed between the farms, i.e. how do they ensure that the animals aren't wiped out by people who might only be thinking about the financial side rather than the preservation of the wild animals?