Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Red Filters

Red Filters

Hi folks, do any of you that regularly go lamping use a red filter. I tried one years ago, but didn't notice an increase in foxes shot. However lately have been seeing a few very lamp shy foxes and wondered if it was worth purchasing a filter.

Thanks in advance

Most definitely YES!!
    Most animals see in 'monochrome' ie. 'Black and white' which means that they generally see better in low light conditions. Red light is right on the end of their visible spectrum and they find it harder to see than white light. A red filter will reduce the beam range of your light but will increase your chances of success generally as they seem less 'spooked' by red light.
    MS

We use red, for general use, as in the above post red is not as visible to the target, just been using green for the last few nights & fox seem to be totally unaware of the beam.......... just awkward to use for us as definition is very poor, seems to be in conflict with the more knowledgeable types in the optical brigade saying that green is the most uable light for humans.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Hi Monty

A lot of good advice from above, and I only tell you from a practical point went lamping last night, I have modified my land rover with a red gel to cover the head light and use a red filter on my lamp. What a difference it makes. The rabbits or foxes don't seem to know I'm there before its to late. Shot 24 rabbits in total, so well worth the investment

We swapped from a red filter to an amber one. They don't tend to mind it and the good thing also it doesn't cut down the range as much as a red one.
    Give one a go and see what you think.

Doesn't seem to matter what filter we use if the fox is lamp shy they are lamp shy. We then try and catch up with them if we are out stalking

Jonathon

hi,

i used a red on tuesday and it was great, the fox just sat and watched us.
    i also heard that green works well but i have not tried it to see.

f.

Take extra care with the green,some real difficulties with the background colours swallowing details.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Take extra care with the green,some real difficulties with the background colours swallowing details.
    Agree with FB on the green, I also find that the eyes dont seem to reflect back the same (on bunnies anywway, never used it for fox). I have a red, amber and green (was also thinking about getting the blue) for my Cluson Laserlite. The red defo takes the most out of the light but I can still clearly see a fox at 200 yards. My mate has the lightforce and his red filter seems to take more out which isnt ideal for long ranges. Ive also just invested in a dimmer to reduce the light at closer ranges, I fing that the amber filter doesnt take much out of the light so can be too bright for soem foxes within the 150 yards range.

Thanks Gents, great thing about this site, ask and someone will give you advice. Much appreciated, filter has been ordered from optic warehouse, must admit paying 20 for a piece of red plastic bought a tear to my eye.

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    Thanks Gents, great thing about this site, ask and someone will give you advice. Much appreciated, filter has been ordered from optic warehouse, must admit paying 20 for a piece of red plastic bought a tear to my eye.
    What lamp do you have? If its a Cluson drop me a note, there is a good site that sells stuff cheaper.