Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hornady ELD-X 103grn .243

Hornady ELD-X 103grn .243

Hello,

Been doing some research into heads for homeloading my 20" varmint tikka t3 in 243 and came across Hornady ELD-X 103grn which have a high bc and read up very well. Has anyone tried them? My rifle is a 1:10 twist and I was wondering if they would stabilise ok? Also, can anyone suggest load data for vhit160 and these heads please?

Link below, thank you for your time.

6mm .243 103 gr ELD-X® - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

Ideally you’d have a 1:8 or 1:9 imho, that’s a long heavy for caliber bullet and a short barrel.
    i’d ask for a tester pack, check with a chrony, and inspect paper out to 250yds if they are tumbling

There are two types of shooters - the fulfilled and successful ones - with a 7 X 57 and those poor souls who have not yet decided to get one!

Sound advice, thank you. Can you recommend a good deer legal head for my rifle that could also double as a mid range corvid/fox round? I know it's a fairly short barrel but like the idea of a "general purpose" round that's deer legal.

Unless big deer needing 100g, I’d say 87g Hornady
    bthp, and on deer, keep then poa behind the shoulder or base of neck as at closer ranges they ‘can’ bruise meat a bit

that said, when i exclusively shot 243, I loved the 85g nosler partition, but it’s not cheap.

There are two types of shooters - the fulfilled and successful ones - with a 7 X 57 and those poor souls who have not yet decided to get one!

Cheers buddy, I will look into them. What calibre have you moved onto? My eventual plan after shooting the 243 out is to rebarrel in .260 remington.

any 80 to 100 gr BULLET will work but buy a chronograph to make sure you reach the correct foot pounds of energy for deer in the uk with your reloaded rounds/ammo.85gr sierra will work either the hpbt or the s.p. you will require around 3000 fps to be legal.

Many! But after a long time with various calibers, I have settled on 7x57 and 30-06 for the long run.

in your action, either the 260 or 6.5HCM would be very good, but only really worth it if you hunt species benefiting from 120-140g bullets being used.

but personally, I’d go 257 Roberts with 120g nosler partitions on a good Mauser action

as per the previous response from PKL, you may find they don't stabilise so if you can try a handful first, all the better.
    re other bullets to try, the Sierra 85gn BTHP is also very good, in my Tikka 595 it made tiny groups over Varget at 2950fps (incidentally this is not quite deer legal in England & Wales at under 1700ftlbs) yes you can drive it much faster, but you start running the risk of too much damage at close range. Excellent bullet though. The Sierra pro hunter 100 grain is worth trying too, look up some of Dodgyknees' posts on here about it, I'll give it a try at some point but tend to use the 243 for daytime foxing duties now with the 87gn vmax being particularly deadly! Deer duties for me are all handled with a 30-06 (165gn driven slow).

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

I have access to a chrony so I will check legality once a favorable load is found. My other rifle (NV setup) is a 22-250 and vmax makes the foxes go sloshy inside. Very affective!