223 training ammo - S&B or Geco ?

Hales Smut

I want to buy some training ammo for my 223. The rifle is Tikka T3 lite with 1-8" twist. Both brands or FMJ . The S&B come in 55 grain. Geco come in 55 and 63 grain. Geco is more expensive. How is the reputattion in accuracy with these products? The brass will be used afterwards for reloading. Which brass would be superior ? S&B or Geco ?

PPU in FMJ is probably cheaper than either. If your rifle likes them it works well. I don't reload but a pal of mine who does, takes every PPU case I have. He reckons they reload fine.

David.

PPU is fine in my .222 so see no reason it shouldn't be good in your .223 I am one of the lucky ones in that PPU shoots good in my .243, .308 and 30-06 as well and when I have a 'therapy session' in the garage reloading, the brass is good too.

Hales is near Brussels, which might make Dauntsey less useful but the ammunition might be worth try as if the web site is up to date those prices are pretty good.

David.

I've had hit and miss results with PPU ammo, more rifles that didn't like it than did but I've yet to have a rifle that doesn't shoot the Geco accurately.

Hales is near Brussels, which might make Dauntsey less useful but the ammunition might be worth try as if the web site is up to date those prices are pretty good.

David.

I realised this, Dauntseys have only just started stocking the ammo so guessing it may be new to the market and available elsewhere....

Thanks.
For foxing I use the Norma 40gr Vmax. Accuracy is reasonable and foxing is a lot more low profile as it's in the UK. Shots over 150m are very rare. Once a month I try to go to the shooting range to get some practice. For this I would like some cheaper ammo. I might try a box of S&B ( 100 rounds) and a box of 63 grain Geco's( 50 rounds). This would provide me with 150 brass to start reloading. Also having a look if the 63 grain bullets group better in my 1-8" barrel. I have used Prvi in my 7x64 ( range) and wasn't over the moon with them. Accuracy wasn't great in my rifle. But some rifles like them. My 223 came with some Barnaul ammo. Accuracy with these is BAD. 3 to 4 inch groups at 100m. I started questioning myself. I than shot a 223 CZ from a friend with handloaded ammo and a crap trigger and still was able to shoot a nice 1" group at 100m. So the driver is O.K. LOL

if you have used a large amount of barnaul ammo make sure you have cleaned your rifle really well .i used this in my cz 223 and cleaned the rifle after every use and i still have a badly pitted barrel :doh: people say its not corrosive but the rfd who bore scoped my rifle says that it is and has damaged my rifling! you can buy a bucket of bullets <500> i think of remington or federal 55 or 62 gr .this is reasoably priced in the uk .

I have a CZ 527 in .223 with a 1:9 twist

Currently I shoot the S&B 55gr which I get from the NRA at Bisley (Think it’s £67/140 rounds) so fairly easy on the wallet and works well enough for informal practice. Certainly consistent enough for my needs.

I used to shoot 63gr Swiss GP90. As I understand it, that is the same ammo as the Geco. I found that shot pretty well out at 300yds. (I just wish that I could still get it at 20CHF (~£14) / 50 WAAAHHHHH!!!!!)

I think more a question of what your rifle likes to shoot.

ATB,

Scrummy

Back