Remington 700 sps tactical

pwolstenholme

Hi guys.

I am in the market for a new .308 and have been looking at the remington 700 sps tactical. Only thing worrying me is the houge stock and the fact that from what ive read its pillar bedded not full length and ive heard that some howas (with the same stock) have had enough movement to make contact with the barrel.
Hoping that someone can tell me this isnt the case!

Thanks, Phil.

This is the case. Great rifle apart from this minor issue though.

You can find cheap second hand stocks for remmy's. Keep an eye out for a HS precision stock off the pss range, they often come up when people upgrade to mcmillans and AICS.

+1 on that.. Go and have a look at one if you haven't already and look at the amount of 'flex' in the stock from the trigger to the fore end.. I have a R700 which was an SPS V (26'' barrel). I couldn't get it to group so changed the stock to a HS Precision (if you need a S/H Stock, ring Rimfire magic, they do lots of semi customs and the HS Precision stocks are sometimes a by-product).

The triggers aren't great on the R700 either. even the newer ones.. I adjusted mine to about 1lb pull and it was still nowhere near as good as the standard triggers on things like Tikka 595s or the more expensive rifles.

So my R700 has a new stock, trigger and has been recrowned and shortened by Steve Kershaw. Its like triggers brush! It shot 168gn PRVI ammo well, sub MOA.. I've managed to find a load which shoots well enough at MOA for stalking.

If i could do it all again... I probably wouldn't.. If you want a rifle with a good stock, trigger and shoots well, get something that will do it out of the box, or go for a different R700. If you want something to do a semi custom job on then i guess its not a bad rifle.

I also have a R700PSS in .223 and it shoots very well, that has also had a trigger replaced but shoots sub 0.5 MOA all day long.

South Yorks Shooting Supplies have new 700 SPSVs for £660. Price includes trigger fettling and arbor-guided re-crowning.

I currently run an sps stainless with a sporter barrel and hogue full alu bedding block stock its heavy but the rifle shoots real well no way this stock will flex as mentioned above bought it from rimfire magic really like the feel and grip even when wet!!!

The SPS if it comes out of a box (not rimfire magic), it wont come with a Hogue stock. Hence why dlz90 doesnt have problems. He has hit a winner, RFM will do a good job on sorting that out although is well within the realms of the average handy man

The SPS if it comes out of a box (not rimfire magic), it wont come with a Hogue stock. Hence why dlz90 doesnt have problems. He has hit a winner, RFM will do a good job on sorting that out although is well within the realms of the average handy man

Sorry did not explain fully my apologies I did not buy the rifle from rimfire magic just the stock only the rifle came with can I say not to my best liking factory plastic stock which did the rifle no justice I bought a replacement hogue full alumminum bedding block stock from rimfire magic to replace the cheap factory plastic one thats what really made the difference and as flyingfisherman has pointed out made it a winner!!!!!!!!

Hi guys.

I am in the market for a new .308 and have been looking at the remington 700 sps tactical. Only thing worrying me is the houge stock and the fact that from what ive read its pillar bedded not full length and ive heard that some howas (with the same stock) have had enough movement to make contact with the barrel.
Hoping that someone can tell me this isnt the case!

Thanks, Phil.

I have one of these in .223. From what I can tell, the stock is made from recycled flipflops and any pressure, even the weight of the barrel over a bipod, will cause flex.
That said, it still shoots well but be prepared to adjust the trigger as it comes with an 8lb lawyer attached - that's how the yanks put it anyway. This is an easy enough job and a 2lb crisp, creep free pull is attainable.

I've since change the stock for an HS Precision one with a full aluminuim bedding (picked up cheap) and had the bolt handle replaced with a tactical one - it's a target rifle so putting 60 through it in a morning is not unheard of and the original bolt is basically a rasp.

As I said, it shoots well enough. If I were to replace this I'd probably go with a tikka T3 varmint, only a little more and you don't need to mess with it.

One thing I'd point out, some of the HS precisions can't accomodate an XMark trigger as std, you'll need to machine some space for the safety catch but it's not too bad a job.

Last edited:
Back