Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm takin' my stuff with me...

I'm takin' my stuff with me...

I've decided that when I get buried, I'm taking a bunch of my "stuff" with me - in the coffin.

I figure that I've got a lot of 'stuff' that nobody else wants and will just get thrown away if I don't take it with me. More importantly, I wanna mess with the anthropological archeologists of the future. Considering how they nowadays create whole cultures from a shard of pottery, I figure I could probably be considered King of the World if I take the 'right stuff' along. Who knows, they might even create a whole new civilization based on what they find in my casket.

Of course I'll have to get creative about where I get buried. Can't be in some common cemetery. For a very long time, I have planned to be dropped in a crack in a glacier, or buried under a tree deep in the woods. In either case, if I take some important-looking 'stuff' with me, imagine the fun they'll have "theorizing" about my origins. I haven't been thinking about this long enough to have formulated a complete list, but I'm workin' on it. Right now what I'm certain about is a rifle and a bonarra.

Pau

I've also been thinking about putting a "story", etched in metal plates, in with me. It'll be full of lies about what was 'going on' in my "culture" while I was alive. They'll construct "cultural scenarios" including what people wore, how they spoke, what rituals they performed on daily basis, all from a pack of lies.

Hey, wait. They do that already, and it doesn't even have to be based on dead people. Look at how they, (Hollywood and the Press (ptooey)), portray the 60's. I was there, even in California, and it is NOTHING like it is portrayed on TV and in the movies. NOTHING is like "they" portray it. "They" seem incapable of telling the truth about ANYTHING regardless of how trivial it was.

But I digress...

I'm gonna start putting my 'burial kit' together. Not the gun and bonarra, mind you. They still have use. But I think I'll start getting the 'little stuff', the stuff no one else would want, into one place so it's easy to find at the 'right' time. I've got some pretty rocks that should probably come along. Hey, two purposes would be served by including my pretty rocks - one is that no one wants them but me anyway, and two is that the idiots - oops, I mean the archeological anthropologists - could imagine that they were considered "gemstones" and that I was a really important guy to have so many "gems" buried with me. I keep getting off track here...

I know... some recovered bullets! Nobody but me wants those and they don't take up much room. (Although they're beginning to take up more and more room.) I'll get buried in my "huntin' clothes". The ones I LIKE. An old tattered flannel shirt, and GI 6-pocket pants. My relatives are just gonna throw that stuff away anyway. In fact, I might just get decked out in my full hunting regalia. Who's gonna want my old huntin' boots anyway? I've got a couple of Case knives I use, so I can take one of those along and leave the others for the relatives to argue about. Maybe a yo-yo... and parts of an Erector set, and the locomotive from an old train set. The kind that you put the pill in the smokestack, and it 'puffs' as it goes around the track. And an old funky flyrod with an automatic reel I got for my 15th birthday. I went two years practicing casting out in the grass before I ever got a chance to wet a line with it.

Whew... The pallbearers are going to need to 'bulk up'...

Paul

me thinks you need to get out more

Quote Originally Posted by centralbeltstalker View Post
    me thinks you need to get out more
    He's from Alaska, it's a well known fact there is nowt to do over there.

Bonarra?

A vikingesque funeral, mmmmmmmmmmmh, ok. But it'll prbably count as littering, or spoiling a nature spot, infringing the rights of ramblers/walkers/environmetalists etc. Mind, you do have some space to play with over there.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Regular Poster
    CABIN FEVER!!!.

Dry Powder.

Barry Thom

I believe it's more to do with having the deal with scientists and government officials just about every day. You respect for them is bound to suffer then .

I can understand the bit about the archeologists having a cousin who is often on the TV spouting about this and that. She is the one how proved we DID have proper Elephants along with Lions etc here after the Mamoths as she dug one up. She was also responsible for the Flag fen bronze age dig near Peterborough. However having listened to and seen some things it made me wonder. Like the time there found something which didn't tie in with their ideas so it was noted and put aside and they carried on. The abnomaily was not included in the main report but a side one. So to my thinking everything after that non fitting bit is rubbish. It should have shouted STOP.

it should have been properly looked into as to how it came to be with much older stuff but by ignoring it everything after that was tainted. of course they reported it in the side report not out of interest it seems but to secure more funding to investigate it more. However by then the largest part of their previous work was tainted and screwed up.

The other involved another Bropnze age did and as far as i know she wa snot involved but this one was on Reepham Moor near Lincoln. the farmer ploughed up soem interesting bits. the brother is keen and gott he metal dector out and they unearhted soem more bits to called the "professionals" in and were immediately shunted out of the way. The brother was a bit oput out by there attitude so started to look around after tey went home. he noticed something in the spoil heap to did a bit fo diging around with his fingers and voila and 8" long bronze age file still with gold in it's teeth. the experts ahd missed it. he reported the find but they didn't seem to care so he started going over their spoil heap with his detector and the most important discoveries from that sight came for what the experts had missed.

The club I shoot at is nearby and they had a display of the stuff now in the museum, photographs etc, of what was found. it also appears that some important stuff has gone walkies and has vanished from the museum. Seems they lost it or simply threw it away as unimportant.

Quote Originally Posted by gitano View Post
    NOTHING is like "they" portray it. "They" seem incapable of telling the truth about ANYTHING regardless of how trivial it was.
    So true. My world fell apart when someone told me you couldn't get a real pint and a packet of pork scratchings at The Woolpack...
    /l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\

looks like its going to be a long winter for some

Quote Originally Posted by gitano View Post
    I've also been thinking about putting a "story", etched in metal plates, in with me. It'll be full of lies about what was 'going on' in my "culture" while I was alive. They'll construct "cultural scenarios" including what people wore, how they spoke, what rituals they performed on daily basis, all from a pack of lies.
    For all we know people might already have been doing that for centuries. I'm sure the Egyptians had a right old laugh carving meaningless hieroglyph gibberish all over their tombs.

What will future society poring over an ancient backup of the Stalking Directory make of this symbol?: