Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: .22-250 home loads

  1. #1

    .22-250 home loads

    Afternoon all,

    I currently use 55grn V-max in my .22-250 howa 1500 20" varmint to great effect on foxes (it is set up as a NV rifle with a photon extreme) just wondered what everyone else uses and your thoughts on the different heads available?

    Cheers for your time.

  2. #2
    I load 50grn V Max with 40grn of Reloaded 15, doing around 4000fps, from Shilen 're barrelled 24" Sake 85, not tried any other heads, vheers

  3. #3
    I use 50gn vmax over Viht N140 at around 3750fps, like you as a night set up but with a pulsar N355. not had any trouble with Vmax and they are so effective on vermin I can't see myself changing tbh, they're easily available (here anyway), accurate and dont cost the earth.

  4. #4
    In 1 I use 53 vmax and 60 Vmax and the other 55 Nosler BTs all .loaded to max, I've also tried 35 Vmax but found then too explosive too early and had a couple of runners. They stay in the cabinet.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Bramble View Post
    I load 50grn V Max with 40grn of Reloaded 15, doing around 4000fps, from Shilen 're barrelled 24" Sake 85, not tried any other heads, vheers
    Good choice. Thanks for the info

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by andychas View Post
    I use 50gn vmax over Viht N140 at around 3750fps, like you as a night set up but with a pulsar N355. not had any trouble with Vmax and they are so effective on vermin I can't see myself changing tbh, they're easily available (here anyway), accurate and dont cost the earth.
    Yeah V-max heads are easy to get hold of. Might switch to 50s as I prefer bt heads. The flatter the better.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by jb1 View Post
    In 1 I use 53 vmax and 60 Vmax and the other 55 Nosler BTs all .loaded to max, I've also tried 35 Vmax but found then too explosive too early and had a couple of runners. They stay in the cabinet.
    The 53s sound good, might look into them. I imagine 35 would be too light. I run 30grn heads in my bunny gun (ruger 77/22 in 22wmr,obviously factory ammo, using Hornady vmax) so can imagine in a 22-250 that they would break up fast. I love 22-250, such a good vermin round

  8. #8
    55 gr vmax all day long, used them for years with viht 140 pushing them out, superb calibre, much underated ,nowday,s but i,d never get shut of it dave.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesako View Post
    55 gr vmax all day long, used them for years with viht 140 pushing them out, superb calibre, much underated ,nowday,s but i,d never get shut of it dave.
    I completely agree, it's a cracking calibre and should be a lot more popular than it is.

    I also use n140, out of curiosity how many grains of powder do you use?

  10. #10
    Using 50grn V-Max in my Rem 700 VSSF. Used 55grn for a while and despite generally good results kept getting the odd ‘flier’. Mate suggested that as mines a 1:14 it was possibly a stability issue hence switch to lighter bullet. No issues since.

Similar Threads

  1. For Sale 243 home loads
    By stevenjames in forum Firearms
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 30-04-2015, 10:03
  2. Home loads in SA
    By N.F.W.M in forum Big Game Hunting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13-09-2014, 06:49
  3. First home loads .308
    By glogin in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 16-04-2011, 16:07
  4. First try of my first home loads
    By oilmanjd in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 20-01-2011, 01:01
  5. Home loads for .243?
    By Jason in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-03-2008, 19:35

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •