.22-250 home loads

mrtnorman

Afternoon all,

I currently use 55grn V-max in my .22-250 howa 1500 20" varmint to great effect on foxes (it is set up as a NV rifle with a photon extreme) just wondered what everyone else uses and your thoughts on the different heads available?

Cheers for your time.

I load 50grn V Max with 40grn of Reloaded 15, doing around 4000fps, from Shilen 're barrelled 24" Sake 85, not tried any other heads, vheers

I use 50gn vmax over Viht N140 at around 3750fps, like you as a night set up but with a pulsar N355. not had any trouble with Vmax and they are so effective on vermin I can't see myself changing tbh, they're easily available (here anyway), accurate and dont cost the earth.

In 1 I use 53 vmax and 60 Vmax and the other 55 Nosler BTs all .loaded to max, I've also tried 35 Vmax but found then too explosive too early and had a couple of runners. They stay in the cabinet.

I use 50gn vmax over Viht N140 at around 3750fps, like you as a night set up but with a pulsar N355. not had any trouble with Vmax and they are so effective on vermin I can't see myself changing tbh, they're easily available (here anyway), accurate and dont cost the earth.

Yeah V-max heads are easy to get hold of. Might switch to 50s as I prefer bt heads. The flatter the better.

In 1 I use 53 vmax and 60 Vmax and the other 55 Nosler BTs all .loaded to max, I've also tried 35 Vmax but found then too explosive too early and had a couple of runners. They stay in the cabinet.

The 53s sound good, might look into them. I imagine 35 would be too light. I run 30grn heads in my bunny gun (ruger 77/22 in 22wmr,obviously factory ammo, using Hornady vmax) so can imagine in a 22-250 that they would break up fast. I love 22-250, such a good vermin round

55 gr vmax all day long, used them for years with viht 140 pushing them out, superb calibre, much underated ,nowday,s but i,d never get shut of it dave.

55 gr vmax all day long, used them for years with viht 140 pushing them out, superb calibre, much underated ,nowday,s but i,d never get shut of it dave.

I completely agree, it's a cracking calibre and should be a lot more popular than it is.

I also use n140, out of curiosity how many grains of powder do you use?

Using 50grn V-Max in my Rem 700 VSSF. Used 55grn for a while and despite generally good results kept getting the odd ‘flier’. Mate suggested that as mines a 1:14 it was possibly a stability issue hence switch to lighter bullet. No issues since.

Using 50grn V-Max in my Rem 700 VSSF. Used 55grn for a while and despite generally good results kept getting the odd ‘flier’. Mate suggested that as mines a 1:14 it was possibly a stability issue hence switch to lighter bullet. No issues since.

Did you you switch to 50s?

Yes - using the 50’s now with H380. Ps - should have mentioned that I initially put the loose shots down to poor skills on my part (which was no doubt the case in some instances)! However, having missed a fox that I was sure was on, I expressed my frustration to a colleague who suggested that 55’s had a tendency to become unstable at longer ranges (200yd+) due to lack of spin from a 1:14? Not experienced enough in ballistics to offer better explanation but his advice seems to have worked for my rifle:thumb:

Last edited:
The 53s sound good, might look into them. I imagine 35 would be too light. I run 30grn heads in my bunny gun (ruger 77/22 in 22wmr,obviously factory ammo, using Hornady vmax) so can imagine in a 22-250 that they would break up fast. I love 22-250, such a good vermin round

Not 22-250 but I use 53g vmax in my 223 and they make a mess of foxes...

Yes - using the 50’s now with H380. Ps - should have mentioned that I initially put the loose shots down to poor skills on my part (which was no doubt the case in some instances)! However, having missed a fox that I was sure was on, I expressed my frustration to a colleague who suggested that 55’s had a tendency to become unstable at longer ranges (200yd+) due to lack of spin from a 1:14? Not experienced enough in ballistics to offer better explanation but his advice seems to have worked for my rifle:thumb:

My old 22-250 which I instantly regretted selling was used with 53grn match ammo at Bisley out to 600 and was putting in respectable groups.

hi mrtnorman , my rifle is a cooper arms model 22 s/shot, that ive had for 20 odd years,and my load is 35 gr,s of viht 140, its on its fourth barrel and its a joy to shoot. dave.

Back