Thread: Ridgeline review

Ridgeline review

well guys this basically stems from the "nomad smock" thread

a gentleman posted the link below for clearance clothing and the item is a ridgline roar euro jacket

http://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/pro...jacket&cat=374

ive been thinking bout a swazi or the like since i got totally drenched whilst flanking out on the angus glens on a grouse day.....decided that i really need to save and get decent kit

well in the interim whilst im saving i looked at this link whilst reading the nomad smock thread and agreed with other postings that for 99 quid it was worth a gamble.

well it arrived and i was out up the glens yesterday again flanking on the grouse shoot and it got a rather good testing!!!! it was pissing down

so......

well i was bone dry, it looks nice too and some people actually commented that it resembles a swazi wapiti ...similar looking and feel of material...pockets are good.....hood is good.

it isnt as windproof as i may have thought and therefore today i wore a fleece underneath and it was so windy you couldnt stand hardly on top o the hill...bloody mental!!!! and the jacket was ace
    im no looking for a thin micro fleece or similar to wear beneath it.

i think this works out better coz it allows layers for thermal protection when colder but figure i can use the jacket too when its milder with less underneath

all in all it aint a swazi or namod or similar

but i took a gamble for 99 quid and its well worth it!!

sauer

I bought the trousers, very well made and again waterproof!

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

In what way is it different to a Swazi or Nomad? If it's really waterproof, I think that is the most important. Is this an outer shell jacket under which you build up layers as you need them for cold temperatures? No thermal lining? Only an outside fabric lined with a waterproof membrane? Is it silent enough to do woodlnd stalking?
    I try to find a light, strong,silent jacket wich is supple and comfortable under which you can build up a layer system and still be able to move. Would this jacket suit for this purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by Hales Smut View Post
    In what way is it different to a Swazi or Nomad? If it's really waterproof, I think that is the most important. Is this an outer shell jacket under which you build up layers as you need them for cold temperatures? No thermal lining? Only an outside fabric lined with a waterproof membrane? Is it silent enough to do woodlnd stalking?
    I try to find a light, strong,silent jacket wich is supple and comfortable under which you can build up a layer system and still be able to move. Would this jacket suit for this purpose?
    HS, the Roar trousers are quiet, with no lining, so I will need thermal base layers in the winter. I haven't got the jacket yet.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hales Smut View Post

as to how it is different form a nomad or swazi i dont know ive never ownee deither , only seen em briefly being worn,

so on appearance it looks similar to a swazi thats all i can say. i would say it is silent enough for woodland stalking but again other opinions may differ.
    i would say that it would suit layers to be worn/built up or down as the tempearature dictates etc

im no expert but thats my opinion

hope this helps

sauer

ps for 99 quid i thought it was worth the gamble

i have bought from optics warehouse and they were spot on, got a range finder
    Opticswarehouse Clearance Optics
    dont have money to burn so took a gamble on this, and its very small and light waterproof and is a piece of cake to use, and very quick at ranging.

I've recently taken delivery of a monsoon jkt, bought primarily for stalking but also for bushcraft / survival work. Went straight out in a good prolonged downpour and was instantly very impressed. I've worked in the outdoors for the past 25 yrs so I reckon I know a thing or two about jkt design and performance. I've also tested a few prototypes for some of the major UK companies in the past. I'm initially very impressed with the Ridgeline jkt. The material is soft to touch but feels ultra tough. It's silent too, so no issues there. The practical fit / cut looks and feels spot on with good length in the arms, so doesn't ride up and expose the wrist when you reach up or stretch the arm out.
    I'm likely to give this jacket a good thrash over the next few weeks so will report back here as to how it fairs, but I think I know already what the answer will be. This is a seriously good piece of kit.