Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brand new toy in the safe

Brand new toy in the safe

Finally after 18 months of wanting one I found this today
    CZ 527 American in .22 Hornet, it came with the rings, and the little Nikon 4x32 is the only spare scope I have.
    It will do for now, or rather it will have to, as the wallet is empty, and the scope I want is more than the rifle was
    I have a couple of hundred rounds of Remington 35 grain AccuTip ammo for it, and most of the bits to reload for it.
    But I will use the factory stuff first, if nothing else it will produce brass for me to load.

Neil.

Beautiful example of a 527 American! Outstanding wood! The Remmy ammo will shoot well but drop me a PM when you are ready to reload for it. I've been reloading Hornet for many decades and have found the keys to success. The CZ is, by the way, the best of the Hornets -at any price.~Muir

Looks like a sweet rifle, well worth the wait. What are you going to use it for?
    Regards Toby

Stunning!

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

bloody nice wood for factory stock. Get it new? Love CZ's, anything CRF...

As an aside, anyone here ever get their hornets reamed to k-hornet? Can anyone comment on accuracy/power/case life? Another forum I'm on reckon they're the go with no drawbacks. What do you think of them Muir? Trying to toss up 222 vs k-hornet for sometime in the medium future
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." -- Rudyard Kipling

Nice gun, you'll love it I just recently bought the exact same in 22 Hornet and I'll never part with it, there a joy to use, 2 foxes with mine at around 130 yrd's the first night out. Get reloading for it and enjoy even more.
    At first you must become young and foolish before you become old and wise!

Thanks everybody, I still can't believe I won the wood lottery, I have seen so many 527's over the past year or so, and none with anything other than plain and boring light coloured wood.
    I will be using it as a walk around rabbit and fox gun, nice and light with no mod.
    Muir, I was going to PM you anyway for reloading info

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by harrygrey382 View Post
    bloody nice wood for factory stock. Get it new? Love CZ's, anything CRF...

As an aside, anyone here ever get their hornets reamed to k-hornet? Can anyone comment on accuracy/power/case life? Another forum I'm on reckon they're the go with no drawbacks. What do you think of them Muir? Trying to toss up 222 vs k-hornet for sometime in the medium future
    Harry: The Deuce (.222) and the Hornet are really a differnt class of cartridge. If you want reliable +200 performance with heavier bullets (50-52 grain) then it is the better choice. As to the .22 Hornet and K-Hornet, well you do get more power from the K-Hornet but then why not go to the .222?? As to case life, if you use Hodgdon "Lil Gun" powder -about the best fuel for a Hornet you can buy- the pressures are low and the case life will be great. And besides, you can buy a bunch of brass for the added cost of converting a .22 Hornet to a K-Hornet when you factor in "proofing" and dies. Probably enough to last a lifetime! JMHO of course.~Muir

I have CZ 527 in .22 Hornet. The wood ain't anything tolook at compared to yours.

Factory loaded ammo only average. remingtons are not good in my rifle, S&B OK.

Getting sub one inch groups at 100m with the following reloads. Remington brass, cci small pistol primers, 12.9gn Lilgun, Hornady 35gn vmax.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Harry: The Deuce (.222) and the Hornet are really a differnt class of cartridge. If you want reliable +200 performance with heavier bullets (50-52 grain) then it is the better choice. As to the .22 Hornet and K-Hornet, well you do get more power from the K-Hornet but then why not go to the .222?? As to case life, if you use Hodgdon "Lil Gun" powder -about the best fuel for a Hornet you can buy- the pressures are low and the case life will be great. And besides, you can buy a bunch of brass for the added cost of converting a .22 Hornet to a K-Hornet when you factor in "proofing" and dies. Probably enough to last a lifetime! JMHO of course.~Muir
    The thing is, from what I've read, you can load the 222 down to hornet levels with no loss of accuracy, and shoot the light bullets if you want. So it seems, even if you don't have much use for a 222, there is no disadvantage cf the hornet?
    I guess you're right re the k, I guess it may only be worthwhile if you buy one already done. Although does it really cost much to have the chamber reamed? Assuming you find a 'smith with one in stock...
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." -- Rudyard Kipling