Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7mm08 Hot or Not?

7mm08 Hot or Not?

So looking at different calibres which have a high BC, ability to keep a good bullet weight supersonic out to a long distance and something which isnt like an elephant gun to fire, i came across a few reviews about the 7mm08. Theres also a review in the sporting rifle this month on the 7mm08 vs .308 and it favours the 7mm08.

So my question is why would you not want a 7mm08? Surely its a good long range calibre and good on everything from foxes to red stags? It has good BC and ammo availabilty wouldnt be a problem for the home loader..

Theres gotta be a catch?!

The catch for me would be not being a home-loader!

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfisherman View Post

So my question is why would you not want a 7mm08?

yeah - 280 (7x64) exists...

For that matter so does 7x57. All of these have the more grunt, the 7x57 only a little, the 280 quite a bit. They all take the same bullets, but 280 and 7x57 have more powder capacity. The tapered cases are nicer in bolt actions too. Recoil is up to you if you're a reloader, which you have to be for all 4 of these really.
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." -- Rudyard Kipling

Great calibre - I've used it on muntjac, roe, fallow & red, and have no complaints. Factory ammunition is getting easier to find, but you still have to take every opportunity to maintain a good reserve of your favourite load.

in response to Harry G.. The reason that the 7mm08 seemed like a nice round is that its short action, low on recoil and gives good BC and performance over longer distances. Apart from the added 'legs' why would you go for a .280 or 7x57? Im playing devils advocate here.. the 7mm08 seems like such a good compromise.

Thanks for input Moonraker... I would be handloading so wouldnt see any difference between any of my other calibres RE availability...

ff

7mm Cartridge Guide has some good comments on the 7mm options. In '99 7mm08 was what I set out to buy in the USA, but I came back with a 260 Rem.

Rgds JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 25-09-2010 at 22:59. Reason: wrong url

Thanks JCS, I wonder what the .284 is like in comparison to the 7mm08 regarding recoil and how nice it is to shoot? I guess its not got as good BC as the 7mm but you can push the rounds a whole heap faster.. but from what i can see its the same case.. am i missing something here or have i read the wrong column?

in response to Harry G.. The reason that the 7mm08 seemed like a nice round is that its short action, low on recoil and gives good BC and performance over longer distances. Apart from the added 'legs' why would you go for a .280 or 7x57? Im playing devils advocate here.. the 7mm08 seems like such a good compromise.
    Well granted, the 280 has quite a few more legs, and so is a bit longer. But the 7x57 is not much longer - 6mm in fact. So both in their optimum actions, (which do exist for both), the 7mm-08 is 6mm shorter. Obviously this means the whole rifle can be 6mm shorter, and a gram or two (ok, maybe 10) lighter. Is this really going to be percievable, especially when stalking? I would have thought a little bit more power would trump the 6mm in case length. Then of course you have the longer neck of the 7x57, making it better to hand load and giving it the ability to handle longer bullets (it loves 175gr so they say). I can't see a draw back here.

So all in all I'd like to turn the question round - why not choose a 7x57? Plus, if you care, you get the satisfaction of knowing this was one of the first bottle neck rifle cartridges, and it spawned most modern day ones (the 308 included, so therefore the 7mm08). It has been around for so long, maybe people want something new. But IMO, they haven't improved it!

Just arguing for the sake of it btw, I'm sure the 7mm08 is excellent, as most people say. And will certainly do all you want in the UK. I just love everything Mauser...
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." -- Rudyard Kipling

So looking at different calibres which have a high BC, ability to keep a good bullet weight supersonic out to a long distance and something which isnt like an elephant gun to fire, i came across a few reviews about the 7mm08. Theres also a review in the sporting rifle this month on the 7mm08 vs .308 and it favours the 7mm08.

So my question is why would you not want a 7mm08? Surely its a good long range calibre and good on everything from foxes to red stags? It has good BC and ammo availabilty wouldnt be a problem for the home loader..

My answer is a question as I already have two rifles chambered for the 7mm Mauser cartridge why would I bother with the 7-08?

I can only ever see me doing so in certain circumstances such as:-

1) my finding a rare rifle either P-H of BSA so factory chambered.. As I have never heard of such beasts.

2) I was offered my friends Mannlicher GK. he recently had it re-barreled and for reason chose the 7-08. It would b the rifle and association with him and not the cartridge.

I look at it as I do the .260 rem an attempt at sort of re-inventing the wheel. As I have the original why have the pretender.

As for handloading well it seems that not so many gunshops stock 7x57 now as it's fallen out of favour and the US ammunition is very weakly loaded so even the 7mm Mauser is almost a handload only cartridge now..

The only benefit that I see in a short action is slightly less powder used and if we want to go down that route then perhaps there should be more good bolt actions in 30-30 as that uses less and loaded to about the same pressures as the .308 will yield a velocity with 130 grain bullets of over 2800 fps.

Thanks JCS, I wonder what the .284 is like in comparison to the 7mm08 regarding recoil and how nice it is to shoot? ....
    ff I think there will be a little more recoil as per the following table.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

I have a friend with lots of 284 brass and he has talked about getting a stalking rifle made up, but hasn't yet.

Rgds JCS