.375 H&H Mag

Roebuck270

How many of you guys own a .375 H&H ? I want to put one on my ticket, i will have no problem convincing the FLO i have good reason to have one for hunting abroad as i hunt Africa. Now i want to be able to use it here in the UK reason being i dont want to use a strange rifle once its abroad, i need to be able to practice with it any ideas / tips guys ?

I know a guy who uses it over here for deer.. roe, reds and fallow.. How dead does the FLo want a deer to be?! And if they say about safety, well we all know you need the same backstop and safety margins for a .222 as what you would for a .375. I reckon your FLO would let you use it over here..

This has come up on here recently. It's police force dependent. Some will put it down for deer or boar in the UK, others won't. If they won't put a UK species against it then you will struggle to get an expanding ammunition condition, they will expect you to buy the expanding ammunition abroad, or have it delivered to the airport. :rolleyes:

Buying ammo abroad they threw at me once before when i said i wanted solid slugs, managed to get them to see my way in thinking, but they did mention if they were going to let me use it in this country for boar the land needed to be cleared for that caliber, which i found frustrating as i have open ticket for all my rifles.

chapter 13 page 77
gives you a list of calibres and what they are recommended for (which is out of date)
it clearly states that a .375 is not suitable for deer and any other large game

but on page 70 of the same chapter
it says this
13.35 Some rifles intended for
antelope and other Plains Game may also
be suitable for deer, boar or other quarry
shooting in this country. Calibres such as
the .375 (9.5mm) are at the lower end of
those suitable for shooting "dangerous game"
but may, once initial "good reason" has been
established, also be used for shooting the
larger deer species in Britain. Expanding
ammunition may also be authorised for an
applicant whose certificate allows for the rifle
also to be used for shooting deer in Britain.

2 different pages saying 2 different things about the same calibre
so on that with the calibre chart being the one that stands out as more as a definitive answer with the word NO in big letters
so if your chief of Firearms is against a .375 for use in this country, then you will need to find a piece of ground that has been passed with .375 for deer already to help fight your cause (there are some exceptions)
Boar is not a good enough reason as yet, thou some counties are recognising it as exceptable
untill .375 is actually written into the wild boar guidlines as a recommended calibre for use on boar, then you may find it will be a while before every department excepts it
but what you need to remember is the Firearms licensing departments are still using out of date guidelines to stipulate the law
ATB

I have a .375 H and H on my ticket, I'll admit though I am very fortunate to be with Northern Constabulary and I have a very good FLO. I originally asked for it just so I can go to Africa and take a Buffalo with a familiar rifle but he suggested that since all my other rifles where open that he'd just keep it open as well to save paperwork and the fact he's nearly hit a huge stag on the way over to see me. I'm a bit thraun to use it on anything smaller than red stag's and I don't have boar although I have worked up a load with a 235gr semi spitzer which I rekon would be quiet effective. The main thing I found horrifing was the cost of ammo and the recoil when firing off a bipod for initial zeroing (maybe I should get a brake on it:confused:) but as for tip's get some land in the north we are a fairly freindly bunch really.

Snag

Thanks Stone and Snagman.
Stone, i do alot of stalking in the highlands, i wouldnt want to use a .375 on hinds but certainly wild / feral goats.
My FLO has already said i have "Good" reason to own one as i hunt africa every year, but i dont want a rifle that can only be used once or twice a year abroad, i need to be familiar with the rifle. Yes the cost of ammo is not cheap so its not a caliber where lots of rounds will be going through it.

My FLO in L&B did tell me at my last review that 375H&H will be licenced for use in the UK, but you do need to demonstrate that you have access to land with red deer up in the highlands to use it on.

Thanks Stone and Snagman.
i wouldnt want to use a .375 on hinds but certainly wild / feral goats.

Bloody hell Roebuck, how big are your goats, in some parts of the world 223 is considered ideal for goats. Still dead is dead I guess.

ATB

Tahr

Certainly the .375 for feral goat's up on the hill would be good as you don't worry about wind deflection very much it takes a fair old gust to move a 300 gr bullet much! and it won't go very far after you hit it:eek: (which is nice after a long hike up the hill).

Snag

LOl @ Thar

Yes .223 is fine for goats, iv used my .222 on them to much effect, but reason i would like to shoot them with a .375 is so i am getting ideal practice for when im shooting abroad, plus there is no worry about any meat damage as most goats iv shot dont go in the food chain, unless you count dog food as food chain.

:):):)

no worry about any meat damage as most goats iv shot dont go in the food chain, unless you count dog food as food chain.

:):):)

Can’t beat getting in some practice. :lol:

I have been told that you can get a good price for goat meat in some parts of our more metropolitan cities.:cool:

ATB

Tahr

Back