Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are all the Rabbits?

Where are all the Rabbits?

Every year i have a week, or at least a long weekend stalking up in scotland. I usually fund it by selling the rabbits i shoot throughout the year.
    It doesn't look likely this year though. I was out last weekend and never shot a single bunny in 3 hours and last night I managed 4. Even the Golf courses that i shoot on have been really quite. They were about earlier on in the year when i was to busy to get around them but now they have dissapeared compleatly. I'm wondering if they might have had that dissease that kills them underground because i haven't found any dead ones lying around anywhere and no Mixy. Only plus point the Foxes seem to have gone as well.
    Any of you guys seing the same thing?

Not here mate(North Wales). A couple of my perms have the most ive ever seen in 6 years. Are you near any flood water? One of my perms has been vertually wiped out of bunnies because it has a river all the way around it and during the floods over the past 2 years they all drowned!!

I had a good spring and summer on the bunnies, but it has been quiet the last couple of weeks.
    This week I have have several phone calls from my fishing club members telling me about drowned rabbits.
    Not been able to get over there yet, but it usually means they have mixi.
    Rabbits swim fairly well normally, but not if they can't see, will get over tomorrow for a look.

Neil.

I have a glut of rabbits on my grounds this year too...

ATB Steve

I started work here in Scotland away back in 1994 as a full time Rabbit Trapper on a large Agricultural and sporting estate, over the first four years of my employment here I could easy average around the 12,000 rabbbits per year. All I was rearly doing was taking the cream of the crop so to speak and just managing to keep the tennant farmers from wanting to shoot the Laird (my boss) at dawn.
    Around the years 2000 - 2006 I would say that the Rabbits were actualy becoming controled and strongholds in the population were only visible where the best warrens and dry cover was.
    Here from 2006 to the present day things have taken a serious turn for the worst. Rabbits started disapearing over night, warrens became deserted and grown over with grass, gundog trainers began to go elsewhere looking for Rabbits in cover and our rough shoots that had previuosly relied on sport from the rabbits where up to 70 per day could in previous years be part of a good mixed bag. They started to dwindle to such an extent that now on any rough day taken here its rare that even a single Rabbit will end up in the bag!
    About 4 yrs ago I began to get lets just say a little worried about the decline (no rabbits= no job ) so I just happend to be in my local vets where I asked him what he thought the problem was, his reply was that in that week alone he had 2 pet rabbits brought into the practice that had died suddenly over night, they were both checked out and both were found to have died from what I myself was fearing VHD.
    Myxi is a terrable disease but at least some used to recover from it and build up some sort of immunity. VHD is almost overnight with it seems no recovery but the Rabbits are gone. (For now anyway!???)
    At first you must become young and foolish before you become old and wise!

VD?, probably all that humping!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    VD?, probably all that humping!
    Could be, a lot of that about in Wrexham...apparently

Ezzy are you lamping or shooting in daylight?? if the latter could be down to Buzzards, i enjoy lying out for a bit of long range rabbit control and have noticed over the last couple of years the rabbits emerging from cover later in the evening,im thinking its down to avian predation by Buzzards which are for ever on the increase in my area....

Nell

Quote Originally Posted by nell View Post
    Ezzy are you lamping or shooting in daylight?? if the latter could be down to Buzzards, i enjoy lying out for a bit of long range rabbit control and have noticed over the last couple of years the rabbits emerging from cover later in the evening,im thinking its down to avian predation by Buzzards which are for ever on the increase in my area....

Nell
    I see very few out in the day on my perms, lots of Buzzards here too. On one piece of land they are most active after 10pm!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ezzy6.5 View Post
    Every year i have a week, or at least a long weekend stalking up in scotland. I usually fund it by selling the rabbits i shoot throughout the year.
    It doesn't look likely this year though. I was out last weekend and never shot a single bunny in 3 hours and last night I managed 4. Even the Golf courses that i shoot on have been really quite. They were about earlier on in the year when i was to busy to get around them but now they have dissapeared compleatly. I'm wondering if they might have had that dissease that kills them underground because i haven't found any dead ones lying around anywhere and no Mixy. Only plus point the Foxes seem to have gone as well.
    Any of you guys seing the same thing?
    Victim of your own success??!!
    I try to rotate around all my perm's and give the population a chance to build up again.
    Of course, the farmer wants them all gone, but wheres the long term fun in that....