Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Terminology

Terminology

Heads have been discussed several times but another one that is frequently abused is calibre.
    Is the 243 Winchester a calibre or a cartridge?
    Discuss
    Last edited by Border; 07-07-2018 at 17:53.

Its a cartridge

Quote Originally Posted by Border View Post
    Heads have ben discussed several times but another one that is frequently abused is calibre.
    Is the 243 Winchester a calibre or a cartridge?
    Discuss
    I have a Parker Hale 1200 deluxe, its 243 Winchester calibre, therefore it requires 243 cartridges, they can be manufactured by winchester,remington,ppu,lapua,norma,sako,federal, ect,ect, or me using any of the aforementioned brass in addition to a wide selection of powders,[at the moment anyway]

whats your opinion?? you seem to have avoided stating it in your question.

and who is ben??
    It's sad that not everyone shares your point of view, but there's not enough room up your ass for everyone's head.

It is a specific cartridge designed for a particular chambering.
    .270" is a caliber but .270 win is not the same as .270 WSM as .17 HMR is not the same as .17 Fireball, same caliber but different chambering.

SD Regular
    The early couple of posts are IMHO incorrect.

240 Weatherby, 243 WCF, are both cartridges. Their calibre is 6mm. Thus the 6mm Remington (formerly 244 Remington) and the wildcat 6mm-06.

If I wanted to build a bespoke rifle for those cartridges I'd order a 6mm barrel and then chamber it accordingly.

So if you reference a rifle I'd argue it is better described as being "chambered for 243 WCF" to be pedantic.

In reality what you call a thing doesn't matter as long as those involved in matter understand each other. To someone in an airport a 'plane (unless it the resident carpenter doing maintenance) is understood by all well enough.

So if I tell my FEO I want a rifle in "243 WCF calibre" that's good enough and less clumsy that asking for a 6mm calibre rifle "chambered in 243 WCF" .

L1A1 is spot on. Elsewise life' s too short, the weather's too hot and I'm off.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 07-07-2018 at 09:47.

I might be wrong, but the way I have always used the terminology...

Calibre - is the bore size of the barrel. .243, .264, .284, .308 etc. Calibre is not specific to any design of cartridge.

Chambering - a 6.5mm/264 barrel can be chambered for 6.5 Swede, 6.5 Lapua, 6.5 Creedmoor etc.

Cartridge - the loaded brass that fits the chamber in your barrel.

So I have a .308 calibre barrel, chambered in 300 Win Mag which shoots 300 Win Mag cartridges.
    So much to learn and so little time left

If you could and wanted to build a 25.4 /1" case necked down to 0.23622047 "/ 6mm , it still would be 6mm so its the I/D tube size that denotes Calibre not the case . be a nice spud gun .

Quote Originally Posted by reloader54 View Post
    I have a Parker Hale 1200 deluxe, its 243 Winchester calibre, therefore it requires 243 cartridges, they can be manufactured by winchester,remington,ppu,lapua,norma,sako,federal, ect,ect, or me using any of the aforementioned brass in addition to a wide selection of powders,[at the moment anyway]

whats your opinion?? you seem to have avoided stating it in your question.

and who is ben??
    My opinion is that it is a cartridge.
    6mm/ .243" calibre.

Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    I might be wrong, but the way I have always used the terminology...

Calibre - is the bore size of the barrel. .243, .264, .284, .308 etc. Calibre is not specific to any design of cartridge.

Chambering - a 6.5mm/264 barrel can be chambered for 6.5 Swede, 6.5 Lapua, 6.5 Creedmoor etc.

Cartridge - the loaded brass that fits the chamber in your barrel.

So I have a .308 calibre barrel, chambered in 300 Win Mag which shoots 300 Win Mag cartridges.
    Spot on

The problem with 243 is it is both the name for a commercial cartridge and a calibre, hence the confusion, bullet diametre is a genuine 0,243" or 6,17mm.

Ian.