Thread: Speer Grand Slams

Speer Grand Slams

Some years ago Speer made a 200grn Grand Slam bullet in .311 diameter for the 303. They have long been deleted from the product line up, but does anyone have any gathering dust on a shelf somewhere?
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Harry you hoping here mate. They were in boxes of 25 or 50. I'll check as yes I do have one box although one is not enough to even work up a load really. FYI they were made to an ill-fated 303 magnum cartridge. I have been keeping my eyes open for another couple of boxes fr myself. no had any luck though. May I suggest you contact Tiapan in Australia and they make a similar bullet to order.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Harry you hoping here mate. They were in boxes of 25 or 50. I'll check as yes I do have one box although one is not enough to even work up a load really. FYI they were made to an ill-fated 303 magnum cartridge. I have been keeping my eyes open for another couple of boxes fr myself. no had any luck though. May I suggest you contact Tiapan in Australia and they make a similar bullet to order.
    With them being classed as sect 5 here in UK, what's the legal situation on ordering them by post?
    You're right, they did come in boxes of 50. I have ten left in my odds and sods box and load notes for them using N140, but ten's not enough to make it worthwhile re-zeroing the rifle.

Post is a No-No I am afraid...................stupid as it is for a lump of metal but there you go. Where I picked mine up they did have another box but soemone beat me to it or i would have had 100 of them .. They would do well though the 303 IMP methinks. Oh i also have a box of Kynoch 215 grain RN bullets for the handloaded although they are in storage right now due to the 303 being for range use only.

Harry,

Give Sloanes of Inverurie, near Aberdeen, a ring - I was in there on Thursday this week and bought some dusty Speer Grand Slam bullets for a couple of other calibres - at what I calculate would be 1995 prices too. They had a lot of very dusty old stock in .303 (I only noticed becuase I was looking for bullets for the .300) and had lots of boxes of Grand Slams in assorted calibres, so they're worth a try. They also have piles of old-stock dies and other reloading kit in obscure calibres, all gathering more dust - it's like the gun shop that time forgot. You'd never get Muir and Brithunter out of there!

I'd offer to collect them when I'm up at the end of the month, but I don't think any of us has .303 on ticket - however it only costs me a fiver to get S.5 stuff sent from Kranks to my RFD?

Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    Harry,

Give Sloanes of Inverurie, near Aberdeen, a ring - I was in there on Thursday this week and bought some dusty Speer Grand Slam bullets for a couple of other calibres - at what I calculate would be 1995 prices too. They had a lot of very dusty old stock in .303 (I only noticed becuase I was looking for bullets for the .300) and had lots of boxes of Grand Slams in assorted calibres, so they're worth a try. They also have piles of old-stock dies and other reloading kit in obscure calibres, all gathering more dust - it's like the gun shop that time forgot. You'd never get Muir and Brithunter out of there!

I'd offer to collect them when I'm up at the end of the month, but I don't think any of us has .303 on ticket - however it only costs me a fiver to get S.5 stuff sent from Kranks to my RFD?

Adam.
    Cheers Adam, I'll give them a bell.
    I'm afraid you'd be hard pushed to get me out of a gunshop like that as well. I used to love going in York Guns when it was on King St for a look through the racks of old and military rifles. It's just not the same since they went all "boutique". There used to be a fabulous, dark little shop in Lewes, Sussex just like that. I even managed to pick up 2 boxes of Kynoch .300 Rook cartridges from that one. Now they were dusty!
    Last edited by Harry mac; 03-10-2010 at 13:25.

That would have been the Lewis Gun Room. The old boy who owned it was an armourer, and I cannot think of his name right now. I picked up the RWS H-Mantle 7x57 ammo there as well as a period Q/R leather sling for an English rifle. Even the adjusting buckle is leather covered.................... Ahhh Reg.... that@s the chap. He is involved the the HBSA. Good friend of Chris Smith of Smitharms of Essex.

Reg still dabbles but only at the shows now like Bisley.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    That would have been the Lewis Gun Room. The old boy who owned it was an armourer, and I cannot think of his name right now. I picked up the RWS H-Mantle 7x57 ammo there as well as a period Q/R leather sling for an English rifle. Even the adjusting buckle is leather covered.................... Ahhh Reg.... that@s the chap. He is involved the the HBSA. Good friend of Chris Smith of Smitharms of Essex.

Reg still dabbles but only at the shows now like Bisley.
    I'm chuffed to bits he's still alive .I thought he must have shuffeled off the mortal coil.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    Harry,

Adam.
    No joy with Sloanes. It was a long shot anyway. I'll just give this one last bump incase someone with a box didn't see it the first time round.