Drinker Test Vid

Tim.243

A short clip of an idea I had, a float valve off ebay....

I have to hall water in 5 gallon drums ( down hill) so insted of decanting it into smaller drinkers then this might work

Going to add some vertical bars so they dont turn it into a bath lol Also other things to consider but if you dont try you will never move fwd...

Tim.243

That looks really good Tim especially with the weather we are having at the moment. Simple to build and very reliable I would imagine. For those with the ability the 5 gallon water carrier could be replaced with an IBC with feeds to a number of drinking stations

That looks really good Tim especially with the weather we are having at the moment. Simple to build and very reliable I would imagine. For those with the ability the 5 gallon water carrier could be replaced with an IBC with feeds to a number of drinking stations

Ta Gary, saves you getting Watts App lol.

Yes things will go wrong but it wil be Tim right when finnished lol

Tim.243

Hi Tim used to do something similar. We used to rear a couple of thousand ducks (Mallard) and in the grass runs we sank several half a 5 gal container into the earth with 4 No 2ft x 2ft slabs around it. A similar valve fed from a header tank worked great. We put a Weldmesh grid over it and under the slabs 2" x 2" mesh. Worked well from three weeks old onwards.

Ta Gary, saves you getting Watts App lol.

Yes things will go wrong but it wil be Tim right when finnished lol

Tim.243

You know me Tim, the fewer ways for people to get hold of me the better!!, I can get myself in enough trouble without the help of Facebook, what's app and other such things. Lol

Hi Tim used to do something similar. We used to rear a couple of thousand ducks (Mallard) and in the grass runs we sank several half a 5 gal container into the earth with 4 No 2ft x 2ft slabs around it. A similar valve fed from a header tank worked great. We put a Weldmesh grid over it and under the slabs 2" x 2" mesh. Worked well from three weeks old onwards.

Guessed it would have been done before in some form, just the chicken drinker type falls short.

The plan is only to carry the drum then plug it in, other way is poring into 4 drinkers a time.

Tim.243

Yes you definitely want a bigger reservoir (1000litre ibc ideal)
a water bowser and a water pump ( or borrow same)

hand carrying water is heavy work

we use toilet ball cock valves
The slots need to be high enough to prevent the water flooding out,
low enough for birds to get their heads in,
and not too big they can climb in.
They still need emptying and wiping out wth chloros every few days
to keep them hygenic.

It all depends how many birds ur dealing with wot size of resivoir u need. Handy for small partridge pens or providing water at individual feeders when birds away from the pen

Have u tried car tyre valves as cheap 'tank connectors' 10mm pipe fits on quite snuggly and simple enough to just pull of when replacing drums.
Just mind to take the valve/guts out of the inside it, usually the dust cap is enough to hold the water in for transporting
I've fitted the car tyres to drums of all sizes and all stay water tight at valve

If u look of Solway feeder website (amd i'm sure plenty others) there is quite a selection of various low pressure/small ball cock valves or some quite cheap ready made drinkers.

Must admit i'd almost forgot but a few years ago i was trying to experiment with no valve at all and using the air lock (like turning the drum upside down in a half drum without it emptying) but could never quite get it working

Yes you definitely want a bigger reservoir (1000litre ibc ideal)
a water bowser and a water pump ( or borrow same)

hand carrying water is heavy work

we use toilet ball cock valves
The slots need to be high enough to prevent the water flooding out,
low enough for birds to get their heads in,
and not too big they can climb in.
They still need emptying and wiping out wth chloros every few days
to keep them hygenic.

You can only work with what you have so I visit evey day and trundle down a 100 yards with a couple of drums in the barrow....

It all depends how many birds ur dealing with wot size of resivoir u need. Handy for small partridge pens or providing water at individual feeders when birds away from the pen

Have u tried car tyre valves as cheap 'tank connectors' 10mm pipe fits on quite snuggly and simple enough to just pull of when replacing drums.
Just mind to take the valve/guts out of the inside it, usually the dust cap is enough to hold the water in for transporting
I've fitted the car tyres to drums of all sizes and all stay water tight at valve

If u look of Solway feeder website (amd i'm sure plenty others) there is quite a selection of various low pressure/small ball cock valves or some quite cheap ready made drinkers.

Must admit i'd almost forgot but a few years ago i was trying to experiment with no valve at all and using the air lock (like turning the drum upside down in a half drum without it emptying) but could never quite get it working

I looked at the valves as there are some in the shed (some where ) I had a manual tyre machine with bead breaker etc at my car breakers for years. I used a lorry hand brake as the valve because they locked off so you could leave it on when assisting the bead ( jumping on it )
My dear old Dad loved to change tyres and used to pick all the good ones off odd ball rims and fit them on the popular ones....
He used to come in the work shop and say give us a pull boy I cant get a start on this one (bless him)

Back to the drinker, the way I see it is I have to carry the drums down so insted of tipping them into 3/4 gravity drinkers then I will give it a go.

I would like a few of the office water drums you used to see, that would work on a frame with a nipple on the end.

This is only my second season and things have changed on the farm so I am sure a water line will go in for next year as things improve...

Tim.243

Tim.243; My dear old Dad loved to change tyres and used to pick all the good ones off odd ball rims and fit them on the popular ones.... He used to come in the work shop and say give us a pull boy I cant get a start on this one (bless him) Tim.243[/QUOTE said:
What great memories are made of Tim :thumb: You'll get there in your own time..Necessity being the mother of invention. which you are well practised. john

Back