2 years Report using WT1 75-3 Thermal riflescope.

royr

Hello Gents,
A year on since I posted this account as a reply to another Posting. Now revised /updated

WT1 75-3, superb piece of kit. Purchased April 2016. Report after 2 years usage. - my rating 5 star. Yes, I do know Clive, met him when when I visited his premises to purchase the Ward D800L, then WT1 75-3.

Each to their own, but Thermal for me every time; the positives far outweigh any negatives.
How I reached my verdict, I use the .223 40gn V-Max Homeloads,Chrono’d @ 3740fps:-
A brief history of my NV kit with .223 rifle, as a vermin controller for a syndicate game shoot covering approx. 16,000 acres with 43,000 mix of pheasant & partridge. (another 2000 acres added 2017)

1. Gen 1 Binoculars and PS22 Gen 2+ front attachment to Bushnell 4200 Elite optical scope with IR illuminator; limited magnification approx. 4 times. Clear identification of moving fox 75 – 100 yards
2 Pulsar Recon 750 spotter with Nightmaster 800 IR, Pulsar DFA75 front attachment to Bushnell 4200 Elite optical scope with Nightmaster 800 IR; limited magnification approx. 6 times. Clear identification of moving fox 150 yards.
3. Pulsar thermal HD50s spotter & Pulsar N870LRF(rangefinder 400 yards) with Nightmaster 800 IR, magnification approx. 8 times. Clear identification of moving fox 200yards. Swapped N870LRF to the Ward D800L Sightron scope combo, now 300yards identification.
4. Pulsar thermal HD50s spotter, Ward Thermal riflescope WT175-3, magnification 6, 12 or 24. Clear identification of moving fox, 300 yards. Longest dispatched fox to date with thermal scope, 348 yards.

Stage 3 was a good combo’ at the time, until one frustrating Fox stake-out, near partridge release pens, had me reaching for my cheque book to purchase the incredible Ward WT1 75-3thermal scope.
Situation, summers evening, dusk at 22.00hrs, dawn around 04.00hrs– set up 175 yards from partridge pens which had previously been raided by fox(s). As dawn approached, 02.45hrs, viewed fox with thermal spotter approx. 120 yards, an easy shot. Picked up .223 rifle with Pulsar N870LRF IR and couldn’t see a thing – a thin ground mist had rolled-in over the grass and my IR scope was “blind”, useless. Picked up thermal spotter and could again easily see fox, having waited 5 hours, particularly frustrating! To stop the possible carnage of another 50 plus partridge being decapitated I stood up, shouted and fox ran off.
Another instance where the WT1 75-3 thermal scope was of benefit. A late November fox stake-out observing a cover crop in the lee of a large privately owned wood. Already dispatched 2 foxs when I spotted another at 23.30hrs @ approx. 230yds, – BUT when viewing through WT1, in the backdrop 400 yards away, I also spotted a trespasser walking his dog among the trees in the privately owned wood – no torch – of course not, he was trespassing! Would not have noticed or seen him moving within the woods with IR scope, but thermal scope, yes!.
Thermal equipment is expensive, but given most Game Shoots charge around £50 per shot bird, making every 100 birds lost to fox predation a potential loss of £5000 to the Game Shoot, then it becomes cost effective.There are two of us controlling vermin on this Game Shoot, we now both have PulsarThermal spotters and superb WT1 75-3 scopes. Noted in my historic records from previous 12 seasons, without thermal equipment, the most foxes dispatched were127, the norm being around the 80 - 100 mark. Our combined fox tally this 2016/17 season is 293, and we are still seeing more foxes, post end of season. We had totally underestimated the number of foxes on /attracted to the Shoot.
N.B. I would also add that I’ve never lost zero with this WT1 scope, hot or cold weather and even after slight knocks, surprisingly fantastic!

Limitations.
Thermal is not at its best during a really hot summers day,or early hot summer evening, thermal requires to “see” heat contrasts. (Winter, anytime, there’s no problems.) So, for these hot daytime periods I have another.223 with Sightron optical scope fitted, come dusk I add the excellent Ward D800L IR rear attachment +Black Sun for early night use. (Useable magnification up to 14 times with Sightron 2.5-17.5 x 56 scope) Then about an hour after dark, when the ground has cooled down, I swap back to the .223 rifle with the WT175-3 thermal scope.

If you’ve not had that opportunity to examine the Ward WT1 75-3 Thermal scope yet, then if you live anywhere near Ashford, Kent, you could visit Clive Ward’s premises and see just how good his WT1 75-3 Thermal scope is:- base magnification is 6 times with progressively lower resolution at 12 & 24 at the quick press of a button. There is also the option to switch color pallets to optimize target and backdrop. Far superior to any of the Pulsar range of thermal scopes, IMHO.

Handheld thermal spotter resolution at standard 2 or 3 magnification, when doubled (4 or 6) on most units would result in poor optical pixilated quality, at this point I look through my WT1 75-3 Thermal scope for clarity and use the base 6x or stepped up 12x mag; 24 mag is useable but pixilated, but hopefully you will have already identified target. As always, identification of targets is paramount. I’ve gained much experience identifying species at those longer ranges using thermal, by observing the way an animal moves and hunts. Agreed if the animal is at a distance (300 yards), not moving, lying down, then identification using thermal can be difficult and unreliable, but at this same distance I found Gen 2+ or Digital IR imaging gave no advantage! A Keeper I know with an Archer Gen 3 unit also has the same difficulty at 300 yard distances.
However, the real massive benefit of THERMAL imaging for me, is the ability to "see" targets through fog, ground mist and rain, which I found near impossible with the Gen 2+ or Digital IR, still means I can continue with vermin control when other’s pack up and go home. As an instance last December, a chap with DronePro 15x mag, had to packup early when a slight mist hung over the ground, he could not view anything that night over 80 yards. Myself, no problem with the Thermal WT1, I continued to shoot until the early hours, dispatching 2 more foxes out to 230 yards.
Hope this account will be helpful to someone?
Best regards
RoyR

Last edited:
Good Afternoon 243 Fallow,
No, not a Keeper, one of two Vermin Controllers, who receive concessionary Game Shoot Days for this service.

I could/should have mentioned that the Game Shoot had a record return of birds, partridge and pheasants, for 2016/17 season; 21,200(ish)from 40,000. It could have been better, if on some of the days the Guns had been more competent, only achieving a 1 in 5 cartridge ratio!
The other noticeable thing that 16/17 season, was that the Pickers-Up were finding dead birds in the wooded areas from the previous days shoot; there had been no gleaning from foxes overnight.
Another thing I noticed with the thermal spotter, during my December and January night time stake-outs on the boarders of our Game Shoot, were the coveys of partridges that were flying onto our land from neighbouring Shoots. These partridge were probably being harassed at night by foxes and so sought refuge on our patch, a sanctuary for them – a Win-Win situation!
During December through to March, 26 vixens were accounted for, that's hopefully around 150 less cubs we will have to deal with this coming season

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good Afternoon Blueroll,
No, I have not looked at the recent Trail XP50 with its limited 1.6 x magnification to 12x mag. However, I did look at an earlier Pulsar unit, it was their top unit, Apex XD75 which was around at same time I purchased the WT1 75-3. Like the specs on the Trail, the Apex had limited magnification of 3x or digital zoomed 6x mag. Personally, I cannot shoot foxes out to 150yards on 3x mag, let alone 300yards with digital zoomed 6x mag. I applaud those people that say they can. The WT1 75-3 has a base 6x magnification which I use for foxes out to 130yards and the zoomed 12x mag for anything up to 300yards. Very occasionally I’ve used the 24x mag which accounted for that 348yard fox. What must be considered is that the pixel display is halved for every doubling of the digital zoom. This is where the WT1 75-3 was a clear winner for me, clarity and definition. It has a base magnification of 6x at full resolution and 12x mag at half that, still very useable. With the Apex there was also the disconcerting momentary “Freezing” of the screen when the Apex recalibrated itself, think it also made a small “Beep” as well, this “Freezing” does not happen with the “shutterless”system used on WT1 75-3.
Recently, it also came to light that the Pulsar units have a temperature problem and can lose POI / Zero. With my handloads, I have achieved sub 1/2 MOA, when I do my bit, with 200 yards zero, despite some small knocks the Wt1 75-3 has never lost zero - works for me!

Me personality, I would only consider the Apex/Trail range, with their limited magnification and POI concernes, for short range usage. I can envisage them being in their element on a .22 rimfire using subsonic ammo on rabbits out to 100 yards, or perhaps a 17hmr out to 130yards using the zoomed 6x mag.
BUT, do remember, at similar prices there is the WT1 50-3 with 4 / 8 /16 magnification, definitely worth consideration for those shorter ranges, IMHO.
Now I’m waiting for one of these WT1 50-3 to appear with inclusive LRF for my .22 rimfire, to replace the Pulsar N870 LRF / Nightmaster 800IR.
Each to their own.
Best regards
Roy

Last edited:
Hello Mchughcb,
That's interesting.

I don't know which digital recording device these recordings were made on or was it the same for both videos, but having reviewed the video it is evident to me that the contrast and brightness settings were incorrectly set on the Ward unit!
Having too much contrast has given a glare around the fox image, which is easily removed if the contrast is turned down.
Knowing how to effectively use any equipment is paramount to achieving the best results.

If people believe the Pulsar unit would be a better choice for their situation, then buy it.
I can only give my account, for my situation, and the 293 fox tally results 16/17 are testament to this success using the Ward WT1 75-3 unit.

Best regards
Roy

Last edited:
I can only give my account, for my situation, and the 293 fox tally results 16/17 are testament to this success using the Ward WT1 75-3 unit.

Roy

I know sfa about thermals etc but I do like that you can back it up as an actual device user that is delivering results.

Hello Mchughcb,
That's interesting.

I don't know which digital recording device these recordings were made on or was it the same for both videos, but having reviewed the video it is evident to me that the contrast and brightness settings were incorrectly set on the Ward unit!
Having too much contrast has given a glare around the fox image, which is easily removed if the contrast is turned down.
Knowing how to effectively use any equipment is paramount to achieving the best results.

If people believe the Pulsar unit would be a better choice for their situation, then buy it.

Best regards
Roy

Roy, the Ward used a Angel Eye Mini DVR while the Pulsar used its own recording system. As you can appreciate it took me some time to borrow both units to compare as the performance as they were worth a fortune and trying to find a decent fox to film at the same time at the same distance. The contrast and brightness if I recall correctly on the Ward was set by the owner to about 30%. Whilst picture on the XP is better on a like for like magnification the pulsar has several zeros, longer eye relief and the better battery system. I posted the comparison because the comments that 1.6X is not much good for foxes at 250m. In my opinion the 17micron/640 core give superior clarity at 12.8X which is more than adequate for that species at that distance. I have also looked through the older XD75. From memory the ward is much better, but the advances in the Trail have made it leapfrog the Ward in my short viewing. If you are happy with your fox talley results then I wouldn't bother changing.

cheers
Chuck

Hello Mchughcb,
Point well made and taken.

Have you heard/noticed this temperature POI/zero problem that many Pulsar Scope users have complained of? Also does latest Trail Scope recalibrate itself causing the screen image to "freeze" for a second or two with that accompanying audible "beep"? Or has that been corrected?

Because the Thermal technology works on "Seeing " contrasts between background and the target animal body heat, I’d use slightly different settings of contrast/brightness configurations for a specific night so as to get the best view from the Ward WT1 75-3 scope, and this takes but a few seconds. I would never envisage leaving the Contrast/Brightness on one setting for a 12 month period, that would be inefficient and plain daft! I have to get the best from the Ward unit on any given night and after 2 years usage it is now fairly easy to predict what the settings should be, and which of the 6 colour pallets would work best for that particular nights situation.

2 years on since I purchased the Ward 75-3 scope, I see there is now a Ward 75-6 scope with same higher spec as the Pulsar 17micron/640 core but has higher base magnification of 3.5 mag, I wonder how that scope would stand comparison with the Trail?

This thermal technology is moving at such a fast pace, I'm informed that a Ward unit with 12micron/640 core is in the pipeline within the next 2 years, can't wait to have a look through that, bet it will be awesome! Just wondering if I could afford it?

I've had a very successful 2 years with this WT1 75-3 scope and do not feel inclined to make any changes at present, it's an excellent working unit that gets results.
However, given the future prospects of thermal technology advancements, may eventually see me reaching for my cheque book yet again!

Best Regards
RoyR

Last edited:
Excellent review and agree it is a good unit. I have only used one once and was lucky enough to account for a fox and i was very impressed. In your situation must be an essential tool.

We all look forward to future updates.

D

I’ve had the wt1 75-3 for a year now im in total agreement with you Roy. I’ve used the xp50 and owned the xp38 trail for a week! The ward 50 in my opinion a good unit on par with the xp50...

I would love to visit Clive and buy a see/new night vision sight, I live in Kent nearby.
Unfortunately after 4 calls enquiring about products, with promises of a call back - nothing.

Hello Blueroll,
A 12micron viewing system is in the pipeline but it will initially be very expensive, possibly adding another £3k to £4k to the price of the scope @ £4100; there's now talk of a 10micron system for use by the US Military.

Hello Soulboy 1957,
Contacting Clive in the office by phone is patchy at best, he's a busy guy. I prefer to contact him by e-mail:- mail@nvscopes.com - and arrange an appointment date that is suitable to both of us. Not sure which area of Kent you reside, but I have permissions on farmland at Faversham if you'd like to meet up and view the WT1 75-3 scope. E-mail me if interested.

Best Regards
RoyR

Last edited:
Great write up Roy. I’ve had mine for a couple of years and love it. Not the mount unfortunately though! I had a bracket and some high end rails from the USA to accommodate.

A question for you, as Clive is useless at responding to customers (I have asked 3 times now). How do I update the firmware on the unit. He was hinting previously about 3 months after I purchased (mid 2016) that he would let me know, I’m still trying to get him to respond! The main reason was battery drain when batteries were left in the unit! Also I hoped it would fix the visibility of the cross hairs on black and white and even give me options to preset for different calibre etc?

any ideas??
thanks in advance
b

Back