Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mannlicher pro hunter or Tikka T3, 6.5 x 55

Mannlicher pro hunter or Tikka T3, 6.5 x 55

I have my variation for a 6.5x55 and feel like going for either a pro hunter or the T3. Both the same price at Sportsman have you any advice? This will be my first full bore so let me know your thoughts. Also in the pro hunter would I be better off with the shorter barrel version or not.

Thanks in advance for all your constructive and experienced help.

Deja Vu, again! This has been done lot's of times before, and if you do a search you will find the threads.

I will give you my tuppence worth; When applying for my FAC I had a really long wait, and plenty of time to look at all sorts of rifles. I also did the DSC1 and got a chance to see what other folks were using, and very kindly due to the other candidates, I got a chance to use a few different rifles on the range day. We also had Steve Bowers to do the ballistics talk and he was my mentor on the range day, so I shamelessly picked his brains.

It turned out that Mr Bowers had the rifles in from a large forestry organisation, Steyrs, and was stiffening the forends because they wobbled so badly. This and the amount the distributors had returned to them because they were so innacurate led to the Mk2 with a (slightly) stiffened forend. If you ever want to re-barrel a steyr, it has to go back to the factory, any competent gunsmith can work on a Tikka. Tikka's also come with a 1" or better guarantee of accuracy. I do not believe Steyr offer a similar guarantee? If it was my money I would buy a good second hand Sako and put the extra money saved to buying a better scope

Tin hat firmly on, I will retire to my bunker

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

+1

Like you say flytie done to death a dozen times over. Personal choice comes into it but everything you have said is spot on in my experience.

Ha ha, I love these forums and the very strong and opinionated views everyone has, you certainly put your head above the parapet when you post something on here. But at least you get genuine comment.

I thought the Mk2 resolved the flex issue but looking deeper it seems not fully, so I think for a new gun the Tikka seems favorite. Although as you say, if someone offered a used better gun I would have to be interested. You also mention a better scope, how do people rate the Zeiss that comes with the Sportsman package?

Not good!

It has a Zeiss name but not the quality of the better Zeiss scopes. You get what you pay for generally in optics.

I purchased a new tikka t3 in 6.5x55 a few months ago (left handed) I would have potentially gone down the second hand route if there was a large market of 6.5x55s in left hand but there isn't and so i went for a t3 in stainless synthetic and i dont regret it one bit if i do my bit right it can group half an inch at 100 yards and im not even very good. You wont go wrong with a t3 but i can't comment on the mannlicher.

George

Looks like a T3, or then again do I raid the kids piggy banks and go for a Sako 85? Awww I still don't know

Another vote for the T3, mine is in 6.5mm, and very accurate, especially in a Robertson stock.
    I briefly had a Sako 75 but prefer the Tikka.

Quote Originally Posted by kelvo73 View Post
    Looks like a T3, or then again do I raid the kids piggy banks and go for a Sako 85? Awww I still don't know
    Sako sako sako sako sako sako sako sako sako sako sako sako sako sako sako sako sako sako sako sako sako

Go on you know you want to really

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Ha ha it's still up in the air I think i'll just have a good look at em both and decide.