ZKK 600 rifle stock purchased

John Gryphon

Clicked "buy" today on this semi finished stock for my BRNO in 7 x 64 Brenneke. As per below the carver advises.

[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]This piece came out of the middle east, Air Dried 6 years. I machine all my stocks out oversize first and then rest on the rack for a period of time – something with this much fiddleback needs a good seasoning etc so was bandsawn out to the stock profile (4-5 mm oversize) for 6 months and then roughed out for another 6 months before final shaping. Just minimises the risk of movement – and if there is any it can be detected before it becomes an issue and the wood placed back on the rack for another year or so If needed.[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]I had a laugh as I originally bought the barrelled action from the stock supplier/carver and he used the action as a pattern for making the future ZKK 600`s stocks,well last week he tried to buy it back from me for this same piece of walnut. NAH![/FONT]

stock%202_zpsqsd2vzic.jpg

stock%201_zpsz6bd0m8p.jpg

As is said in the USA, you done good with that stick of wood John.The changes in temperature with you, will soon test its stability. I love these old Brno's, god knows how many I've had, most are hardly used and some come with nice wood, depending on the phase/year of manufacture,it can be a lucky dip.
I have three in the safe at present..22, 7x57, and the 601, my problem I move them on when they are no longer a challenge to feed and shoot,although I have become quite fond of my 243. Anyway good luck with yours, the 7mm is a nice calibre to shoot. ATB,john

As is said in the USA, you done good with that stick of wood John.The changes in temperature with you, will soon test its stability. I love these old Brno's, god knows how many I've had, most are hardly used and some come with nice wood, depending on the phase/year of manufacture,it can be a lucky dip.
I have three in the safe at present..22, 7x57, and the 601, my problem I move them on when they are no longer a challenge to feed and shoot,although I have become quite fond of my 243. Anyway good luck with yours, the 7mm is a nice calibre to shoot. ATB,john
Now John I have to rattle up the dollars to get it fitted.But first I have to find the right man to do it,they are hard to find here.

That will be the best grade of wood worn by any Brno!

The stock on my Brno 22F 7x64 has not a whiff of figure, but the lines and the small grip please me. You will be chaffing to get the wood on your metal and shooting it.

That is a very nice piece of wood . Post some pics when it's finished , I do like the older Brnos .

AB

You will get them,dont hang by your toes lol

That will be the best grade of wood worn by any Brno!

The stock on my Brno 22F 7x64 has not a whiff of figure, but the lines and the small grip please me. You will be chaffing to get the wood on your metal and shooting it.

Yes I am looking forward to that day for sure.

Looks a bit like a Westley Richards clone. or?
edi

That I dont know,I have never asked re the pattern,will do.
Howa and TSS I knew you blokes would like!

TSS I did ask and received this in reply. I can only go on what he said.

No mate it’s not a Westley Richards clone. It’s an original pattern done by old stockmaker Geoff Slee many years ago. It’s probably more in the style of a Holland and Holland than anything with that cheekpiece.

TSS I did ask and received this in reply. I can only go on what he said.

No mate it’s not a Westley Richards clone. It’s an original pattern done by old stockmaker Geoff Slee many years ago. It’s probably more in the style of a Holland and Holland than anything with that cheekpiece.

Hi John, As a leftie who shoots rh rifles I've been happy every Cz/Brno I have owned has been ambidextrous.

Until the 7x57 which is the 550, you can see the cheek piece is a far cry from yours. john
View attachment 98816

I recon they all derived at the similar result with the stock shape. This is a Westley Richards design. Seems similar to yours from a distance...

mdDjJvo.jpg

edi

Back