Antler carving DIY help needed please.

Youngjm

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Some help please. My father is rowing the Atlantic this year with a friend and if they are successful they will be the oldest crew to cross. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]As is fitting for such an event I want to give him a nice keep sake to take with him, something personal and with some thought put into it. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]However, space and weight are at a premium, so bearing that in mind I have thought long and hard about a suitable gift to give him for the trip. Something useful (no dead weight allowed) and something to remind him of me. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]I’ve decided to make him a whistle - can be used for attracting attention (though I am sure he will take a plastic one too!).[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]I am seeking advice on how to make one. Specifically from roe antler from a beast I have grassed personally. It has a real personal feel to it I think. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]I am looking therefore for some advice or contacts to help guide me through the process. I’m not the most gifted in DIY matters, so will definitely need the help![/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Has anyone any thoughts on subject matter experts to consult or whom to turn to for further advice?[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]I’d be grateful for any advice. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]In case you want to check out their challenge the details are:[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]https://www.grandadsoftheatlantic.com/

[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]https://www.facebook.com/GrandadsRow/[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Instagram @grandadsoftheatlantic[/FONT][/FONT]

They are available to buy as dog whistles all sorts of sizes and quite cheap, I thought you could copy one in the antler of the beast you grass.

BC.

Here's another idea? I know sailors regard rabbits feet as good luck. I wonder if you could carve him a rabbit foot-holder from the antler and give him that as a good luck charm? I've always had indifferent results when trying to make whistles (probably been getting the geometry wrong though, right enough) Just a thought though :)

I'd start with YouTube and get an understanding of what is needed and how to do it. This should give you enough info to work out if it is in your abilities and how long it'll take you.

Here's another idea? I know sailors regard rabbits feet as good luck. I wonder if you could carve him a rabbit foot-holder from the antler and give him that as a good luck charm? I've always had indifferent results when trying to make whistles (probably been getting the geometry wrong though, right enough) Just a thought though :)
Are you sure about this? I grew up in Devon with the superstition that any mention of a 'rabbit' on a boat would bring extreme bad luck!
St Christopher is regarded as the patron saint of travel. One of those with a nicely engraved message maybe? If you could get one engraved on an antler disc it would be very special!
MS

Back