Licence to kill or take certain wild birds to prevent serious damage or disease

armo.

Why is this licence needed?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/wild-birds-licence-to-take-or-kill-to-prevent-damage-or-disease

"If you’re a land owner, occupier or other authorised person you can use this general licence to carry out a range of otherwise prohibited activities against certain wild birds. You don’t need to apply for this general licence but you must meet its conditions and follow its instructions."

It refers (amongst others) to crows and pigeons. It has always been possible to shoot these, regardless of whether they are deemed to be causing serious damage, disease or not. The licence refers to the: Animal Welfare Act 2006. Is this licence from that era of political meddling?

Why is this licence needed?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-to-take-or-kill-to-prevent-damage-or-disease

"If you’re a land owner, occupier or other authorised person you can use this general licence to carry out a range of otherwise prohibited activities against certain wild birds. You don’t need to apply for this general licence but you must meet its conditions and follow its instructions."

It refers (amongst others) to crows and pigeons. It has always been possible to shoot these, regardless of whether they are deemed to be causing serious damage, disease or not. The licence refers to the: Animal Welfare Act 2006. Is this licence from that era of political meddling?

Unfortunately not so Armo. For an awful long time it has been necessary to abide by the conditions of the general licence, you simply couldn't go out and shoot crows, magpies, pigeons etc simply because you feel like doing so. I don't know how many times the general licence has been renewed but I think it's several times. Something to be aware of also is that the general licences may vary between the various countries since devolution and devolved powers.

Hi Armo. As said there are, just as with game, deer, variations between our Home Nations. Thus starling are protected in England but not in Scotland. Licencenses permit an activity that if a licence were not possessed would be unlawful. A Driving Licence for example. All birds save game birds are now essentially protected. The General Licence allows them to be killed notwithstanding that BUT as said only if...under the circumstances stated in it...now fortunately for those that shoot pigeons it's not administered with a jobsworth regard for the technicalities of the wording. Thank goodness!

everything in UK is protected by the Countryside and wildlife act

you need to use other acts ie Deer or game act

or Licences granted either generally or specifically

to Hunt shoot or kill any animal or bird in the UK

and abide by the wording of the act or licence

General licences are renewed yearly and they can change usually its the species permitted in the list that's added to or removed from so it's worth checking regularly

and be careful of things like you're permitted to use a semi-auto firearm or shotgun (Section 1 more than 2+1) on the licences but not on the game act so don't shoot a pheasant when out even in season with your 5 shot browning when out for pigeons or a pheasant with a semi-auto 22 lR but is fine with a bolt action 22lr

everything in UK is protected by the Countryside and wildlife act

you need to use other acts ie Deer or game act

or Licences granted either generally or specifically

to Hunt shoot or kill any animal or bird in the UK

and abide by the wording of the act or licence

General licences are renewed yearly and they can change usually its the species permitted in the list that's added to or removed from so it's worth checking regularly

and be careful of things like you're permitted to use a semi-auto firearm or shotgun (Section 1 more than 2+1) on the licences but not on the game act so don't shoot a pheasant when out even in season with your 5 shot browning when out for pigeons or a pheasant with a semi-auto 22 lR but is fine with a bolt action 22lr

unless your section 1 is under a condition for humane dispatch then it would be legal

Firstly I now rarely shoot with a shotgun, like twice in the last 15 years, but grew up shooting them in the wilds of the countryside where laws were for guidance, rather than blind obedience, so excuse my ignorance on this one. Practically, how does this licence work - if a walker reported a dead crow on farmland, could (theoretically speaking) the police/RSPCA turn up, find that is was shot with a shotgun, investigate and if they found it was shot in circumstances where it probably wasn't causing damage or disease, decide to prosecute? Does this happen much?

Firstly I now rarely shoot with a shotgun, like twice in the last 15 years, but grew up shooting them in the wilds of the countryside where laws were for guidance, rather than blind obedience, so excuse my ignorance on this one. Practically, how does this licence work - if a walker reported a dead crow on farmland, could (theoretically speaking) the police/RSPCA turn up, find that is was shot with a shotgun, investigate and if they found it was shot in circumstances where it probably wasn't causing damage or disease, decide to prosecute? Does this happen much?
Never.

theoretically possible but very very unlikely

Back