Thread: My first rifle set up

Established Poster

My first rifle set up

Well guys, as some of you know, I have literally just recieved my first ever firearms certificate.
    Lothian and Borders police were fantastic, open ticket with no mentor condition and received all the rifles I requested.....over the moon to say the least.
    It was evident during the FEO interview that he was extremely pleased that I had taken the time and effort to complete DSC level 1 prior to my application....maybe a point to note for other newbies like me.

Anyway, I purchased the following set up:

Tikka T3 Varmint 22-250
    Nightforce scope 5.5 -22X56
    Harris bipod and moderator.

Rifle shoots like a dream, extremely happy with the new bit of kit.

0.308 Cal rifle now on order with virtually the same spec, only thing I changed out being the Nightforce scope for a S & B 8X56.

Posted a pic for people to look at if interested.
    Cant wait to get out and use it for the Roe instead of zeroing on paper targets .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG00086-20100924-2047.jpg  

Very nice set up there indeed. Thats a serious piece of glass you have got on it. Will it be used for long range varminting?

George

Very nice , she even gets to lay beside the fire

she shoots like a dream, well done mate.
    patience is virtue.

f,

Very nice set up although I found the Nightforce just to be too much. Think you may prefer the S&B 8x56.

I have known the FEO in the West Lothian area for years and although nobody's fool he certainly would appreciate and recognise the commitment by doing your DSC1. As you say maybe a good indicator for others in the same situation. Makes the application so much easier and you end up with what you want.

Established Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Very nice set up although I found the Nightforce just to be too much. Think you may prefer the S&B 8x56.

I have known the FEO in the West Lothian area for years and although nobody's fool he certainly would appreciate and recognise the commitment by doing your DSC1. As you say maybe a good indicator for others in the same situation. Makes the application so much easier and you end up with what you want.
    Gazza,

Very true bud, the Nightforce is a bit much for stalking, this rifle is going to be predominantly used for foxing and only the occasional Roe. I have a S & B on order for the main stalking rifle which will be the Tikka 0.308 rifle currently in the process of being ordered and built......i'll post a pic once I get this rig set up.

With regards to the FEO in West Lothian, definitely nobody's fool and entirely approachable at any time for advice. I cannot advocate enough the benefit of doing the DSC level 1, especially for first time FAC apps; this can be a hefty financial committment and does prove to your FEO you are serious about the sport.

George,

Yes, this rifle will be used for long range varminting once I am entitely confident in placing an accurate and humane long range shot......time practicing at the zeroing range will sort this.

Thanks for everyones comments.
    John.
    Last edited by oilmanjd; 27-09-2010 at 10:45.

Established Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by provider View Post
    Very nice , she even gets to lay beside the fire
    good one Provider, made me laugh.

Exellent set up there. Its good to see someone getting good kit from the 'off' as I like most here have either made a mistake in the begining or bought a piece of kit and had to replace it later. I guess you either did your research well or someone has advised you well. I am after the same scope as you as my buddies got one and he gets more minutes time shooting on last light when stalking. Look after that kit bud and it will look after you for a lifetime.

Pete

Established Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenman View Post
    Exellent set up there. Its good to see someone getting good kit from the 'off' as I like most here have either made a mistake in the begining or bought a piece of kit and had to replace it later. I guess you either did your research well or someone has advised you well. I am after the same scope as you as my buddies got one and he gets more minutes time shooting on last light when stalking. Look after that kit bud and it will look after you for a lifetime.

Pete
    Pete, thanks for that. The Nightforce scope is amazing, very clear optics.
    I done a bit of both, advice from guys I know on here and also people outwith the SD world. Took all their comments and then researched what seemed to be the consensus on equipment across the board. My motto is buy once, buy right....well I try ha ha.
    It defo pays to get advice as I didnt really have a clue to be honest until I started talking to guys in the know.
    Cheers,

John