Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting in south africa - advice please gents

Hunting in south africa - advice please gents

Hia Lads,

Next year i will be marrying my beloved better half, making her a 'stalking widow' instead of just being .......'stalked' by me !!! Unconsciously I creep around the house rolling my heels like there's a trophy buck around every doorway, old habits die hard eh boys ! After shooting for 30 years I just can't help it.
    Anyway, here is the question ;
    We are going on honeymoon to S.A. next year and would like to combine sightseeing and monging on a beach with a traditional Safari and Big Game hunting trip.
    I am aware that there are several outfitters on here, but having looked online too the choice is even more confusing than choosing your first rifle ! We can go either at March-May or August-October, which are the best times I understand. With a preference for September into October . With it being our honeymoon, my concern is also that while Fred Flintstone here (Yabbadabbadoo etc) is off with a "semi" in my trousers plugging Gnu and the like. Back at the ranch Mrs Flintstone is happy horse trekking, visiting the spar for a mud pack and hot stone aromatherapy yoga palate' massage treatment ! We bumped into Tony Jackson at the Midland Gamefair who can arrange the trip for us, but so far he's not been in touch. Obviously if/when he does I would still like to compare prices, recommendations and facilities with other outfits. The trip will be either 2 or 3 weeks (probably 3) because it's unlikely we'll fit everything in in 2, it depends on the wonga needed really.
    This is flexible depending on the price but I'm looking at between 5-7 head , with a trophy that can be brought back mounted. The weeks would probably be best spread into Hunting and Safari for the first, Sightseeing the second and then the Beach on the third... or divided equally if less than 3 weeks.
    Hope I've covered most of the idea with you, any suggestions or recommendations for contacts please boys will be greatfully received ? And before you all start with the funnies boys, anyone suggesting them going instead of me (I can see the posts now) can fekkn frrgett it !!!

Confused and Expectant

Ade 30-06
    Last edited by Ade 30-06; 26-09-2010 at 20:36.

Don't go there hoping to bring back your trophies with you. Chances are you'll be waiting about a year for your trophies to arrive back in the UK. Just be as sure as you can be that the taxidermist is reputable, and tell him exactly what you want, i.e. if skull mounts are wanted tell him you don't want to see the mounting screws, and specify whether you want them bleached. It goes without saying you should be able to have a look at some trophies he's already done.
    The classified adverts in "Man Magnum" or other SA shooting magazines may be worth perusing, if you fancy booking direct and cutting out the "middle man".
    Good luck on your up-coming nuptials to you and your intended, and have a good honeymoon.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Hia Harry,
    Thanks for that. I was aware that mounts can take some time to return, there's some real horror stories out there. This was one of the reasons that Tony Jackson's outfit appealed, it was because they could get it back to us in around 3 months or so. The 'taxi' is local to them and their work can be seen by a short trip to see them in action. Obviously it is cheaper to cut out the middle man, but it must be a lot of grief arranging transfers and getting timings right without local knowledge. I'd rather not be stranded having forgotten something or been unaware of a local complication with the Little Lady in tow. Can you imagine it, they wouldn't let me fly home if i'd just been violently castrated, would they ?????

Cheers Harry

Ade 30-06

Ade,

1. You will need a minimum of 180 days "in Dip" before you could possibly get them imported into the UK as pre taxidermy. Legal.

2. You want to be hunting at the beginning of the season, not end.

3. April - September is the season locals use. Anything later is not fair, baby season. Females have horns as well, some better than males.

4. With "lady in tow" you need to be close to the coast so .... Port Elizabeth is where you should look near to.

Stan

Hia Stan,
    I'll check out going earlier, thanks for the advice. We're not too worried about being close to the coast in the first week because we'll be going to the wine region anyway, so a bit of travelling is on the cards. Is the game any good around Port Elizabeth ?

Cheers Stan

Ade

Quote Originally Posted by Ade 30-06 View Post
    Hia Stan,
    I'll check out going earlier, thanks for the advice. We're not too worried about being close to the coast in the first week because we'll be going to the wine region anyway, so a bit of travelling is on the cards. Is the game any good around Port Elizabeth ?

Cheers Stan

Ade
    Game is plentiful in the Port Elizabeth region, that's where I went. I'll PM you a link if you like.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry mac View Post
    Game is plentiful in the Port Elizabeth region, that's where I went. I'll PM you a link if you like.

Thanks Harry.

Ade

Hi Ade,
    I have been to SA several times now and for the last 3 visits i went with Nduna safaris who were recomended to me. They have exceded my expectations each time with the hunting ,accomodation and looking after the other half while i am hunting.
    The uk agent is on here and is a top bloke to deal with. He can help with the paper work if you are taking your own rifle and advise on trophy prep and shipping.
    They looked after my wife like a queen, taking here shopping, horse riding on the beach,quad biking to look at the wildlife and the all important spa treatments.

atb
    Paul

Have a chat to Dirk or Arno from Mayogi. Eastern Cape.
    They are real nice chaps have great shooting and good accomodation.
    http://www.mayogi-safaris.co.za/

edi

Hi,

Can't comment on getting taxidermy stuff back but I grew up in SA and travelled it extensively and I would recommend you check out the weather for the areas you are going to before choosing.

The two times you mentioned will be autumn/spring, the Cape has winter rainfall and the storms can be proper @#!*. PE is windy, all the time, with average being 10-14 knots - it drops once you head inland though and it is a pretty good climate all year round.

The North Coast will be drier, warmer and more weather stable at that time of the year and the mozzies will be in retreat.

It is a great place, you'll have a blast wherever/whenever you go.