Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pole saw advice

Pole saw advice

Am considering going down the portable highseat road as an experiement and to see if it helps me with my sika as they are sneaky little chaps.

It also seems likely that something called a "pole saw" would be a necessity to do a little gardening to allow me to put up the seat and get a clear view for a shot.

I believe that a company called Silky are the market leaders but the saws are a little on the expensive side. However, I'm willing to pay for the quality if necessary and so thought to tap into the knowledge available here. As ever all hints, tips and advice gratefully received.

I have a Silky Hayauchi 3 extention pole and it is fantastic. Not very many branches left around seats and stays very sharp. Quality and well worth the money.

i'm a tree surgeon by trade and regularly use silky products, their pole saws are good, the blades are second to none i have however managed to break a few of the poles, they are simply not as strong as others such as jameson, i will admit to being fairly heavy handed and i would think that if used and not abused they would serve you very well, be aware silky saws are razor sharp and as i can testify the will bite you.
    http://www.silkyfox.co.uk/highsaws.html

Im fruit farm trained and use silky for all my fruit tree pruning come the winter second to none imo, saying that for occassional use I keep a Bacho in the car. Bahco – True professionals’ love for increasing their performance by its ergonomics and design and if its not going to see heavy use that would be the way I would go.

The stihl HT101 or HT131 have to be the rolls-royce of pole saws.

They can sometimes be picked up at very resonable prices on ebay.

For many years now I have spent my winters working around the fishing club lakes, the last 3 years I have been using a Stihl long reach chain saw, or a hand held pruning saw from a ladder.
    Last year I tried a pole saw for the first time, a couple of cheap ones came and went, and then I bought the Silky one, it has a winter of hard work behind it, and still looks ready for more.
    Yes they are expensive, nearly 5 times the price of the first one I tried, but well worth the extra cost.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by mjjl View Post
    i'm a tree surgeon by trade and regularly use silky products, their pole saws are good, the blades are second to none i have however managed to break a few of the poles, they are simply not as strong as others such as jameson, i will admit to being fairly heavy handed and i would think that if used and not abused they would serve you very well, be aware silky saws are razor sharp and as i can testify the will bite you.
    http://www.silkyfox.co.uk/highsaws.html
    I agree with the above, for durability I would by a set of jameson poles with a pruner and saw attachment- Jameson pruner with double pulley | F R Jones and Son Jameson pole saw head no blade | F R Jones and Son

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    For many years now I have spent my winters working around the fishing club lakes, the last 3 years I have been using a Stihl long reach chain saw, or a hand held pruning saw from a ladder.
    Last year I tried a pole saw for the first time, a couple of cheap ones came and went, and then I bought the Silky one, it has a winter of hard work behind it, and still looks ready for more.
    Yes they are expensive, nearly 5 times the price of the first one I tried, but well worth the extra cost.

Neil.
    Been there, done that! Buy once and buy the best. Top tip: don't lend your good kit to anyone! JC

I have also used a Silky Gomtaro hand saw for pruning tree branches and cutting rides through various types of cover.
    There a good tool to have in the motor though not cheap but well worth the money and easily stowed in any Roe sack

Recomended