Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Second Deer Rifle

Second Deer Rifle

Hey Guys I know the age old questions of calibres is much debated but a friend of mine from has offered to bore out my old sako 75 (which is .22-250) to any short actioned calibre. To be honest I'm not entirely sure what that encompassed but am quite interested in getting a .308, 6.5 x 55 or maybe a .270. Just wanted to know what would be a good choice. I already have a .243 which I use for fallow and muntjac so was looking for something a little more substantial for reds. What do you guys think?

I presume you friend wants to rebarrel your rifle.
    1) if short action, then you would need to change to also a short action cartridge, meaning
    6.5x55 and 270 are not doable. 308 would be a great choice. 7-08 would also be a very good alternative.
    2) When changing barrel, have a close look at what you will be needing the rifle for. Now would be the chance to change to either light, ultra light weight or heavier more varmint/target orientated barrel. 308 has the advantage of being efficient with shorter barrels vs 6.5 or 270 that loose a lot if run with short barrels.

edi

On a short action, for a second deer rifle? It's got to be a 7mm-08. See this months Sporting Rifle for a comparison of the .308 and 7mm-08. Only thing about the -08 is that you will need to reload, ammunition is not that freely available.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

As said if reloading 7mm-08 is the way to go.

Steve

A 30cal (in your case a 308win) is always a good combination with a 243 for a UK stalker. No brainer really.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by WARDY1 View Post
    As said if reloading 7mm-08 is the way to go.

Steve
    Nicolai - two suggestions. 1 Track down a local rifle maker and have a face to face chat with him to get a second opinion on your plans. 2. If going down the reloading route, why not a 260 Rem? Rgds JCS

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    A 30cal (in your case a 308win) is always a good combination with a 243 for a UK stalker. No brainer really.
    and a VERY high chance of sliping a .243 in to the .308

Quote Originally Posted by stalkerboydy View Post
    Well, in that case none of us should have more than one calibre.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by stalkerboydy View Post
    easy to avoid, keep the .308 under the bed and the .243 behind the seat of the truck. only becomes a problem when you get drunk and fall asleep on the back seat! of course your gun will be stored loaded anyway so that gets over that problem

Stalkerboydy , does this mean we shouldn't have a 12 bore and a 20 bore just in case .
    Shouldn't be an issue if you keep your admin sorted.