roe deer in staffordshire

tika.308

just wondering if anybody has seen or heard of any roe in staffordshire?i live in north staffs and someone told me they saw one cross the road in front of them last year,then i have been speaking to a staffs council ranger yesterday and he tells me he saw three does in a field close to where i live.i have never seen any signs.

i find it hard to belive myself,looks like everybody else does to.it would be nice to have them here.

tika.308 said:
just wondering if anybody has seen or heard of any roe in staffordshire?i live in north staffs and someone told me they saw one cross the road in front of them last year,then i have been speaking to a staffs council ranger yesterday and he tells me he saw three does in a field close to where i live.i have never seen any signs.

Not sure exactly where you live and we really need to wait for the imminent results of the BDS Deer Survey 2005 but on the latest distribution map that I have there are several 10km squares in Staffs that have roe reported.

There are roe in the three adjacent horizontal squares with Stafford town in the middle. North from there there are two squares with Macclesfield on the west and Buxton on the east with roe and by the way there are also reds reported in these two squares and four more adjacent squares.

Given that these maps are at least a couple of years old you might well have roe on a slightly more widespread basis outside these squares.

i live in north staffs and ihave never seen or heard of any roe around hear i also stalk near buxton but also no roe quite a big herd of red though shot a big fifteen pointer last year

thanks paul,big eka.the ranger i was talking to first worked in scotland so he says he has seen loads of roe so he is fairly sure on what they were.the other lad who had one cross the lane in front off him has shot a couple of roe up north,so i dont know.there are lots of red about eka on the hills above leek but only odd ones my side of leek,where can you view this map you were on about paul?

tika.308 said:
thanks paul,big eka.the ranger i was talking to first worked in scotland so he says he has seen loads of roe so he is fairly sure on what they were.the other lad who had one cross the lane in front off him has shot a couple of roe up north,so i dont know.there are lots of red about eka on the hills above leek but only odd ones my side of leek,where can you view this map you were on about paul?

There used to be pdf files on the BDS website in the information for each species that included a distribution map but on the new website they seem to have diappeared, posssibly awaiting an updated version. If you send me your email address by PM I'll happily scan the maps for roe and any other species in which you have an interest and email them to you.

I should say that the two roe squares in the north of the county are actually more Cheshire and Derbyshire than Staffs. Also, "record" can mean just one confirmed sighting and does not necessarily indicate a population. One useful sophistication for these maps would be a different colour dot to show population densities.

well things may be on the up,spoke to a mate tonight who tells me he had a roe buck running up the lane in front of his car the other morning which again is in the same area as i keep geting told of sightings,he is a butcher and he does deer for a few people so he knows what they look like,then another lad told me last week he has seen 3 roe in a field twice the other side of the village about a mile or so away,fingers crossed :D

i hav seen roe by kings bromley and alweras, also almost run a roe buck over on the way to dropping the O/H of at hoar cross while on my way to a mates place, and yesterday while on the M6 as i passed a timber yard by J15 i think, it looked like a roe doe stood back up on the hill side in the wood and i know of several groups of roe by tamworth but hav never seen any by the ground i hav by stone just fallow, reds and one muntjac to date but they do travel to find new territories, especialy in may/june as bucks are on the move

Hi all, where abouts are you :confused: I'm on the staffs/Derbys border between Buxton and Ashbourne and no Roe in my immediate area that I know of.

My area is over run with the bloody things, squillions of em

Somerset that is, but if you want some I'm sure they will head North, as we are full. Just a matter of time.
They are in every field here.

saw no roe today but these were about 100 yards from the side of the A34 between trentham gardens and the monkey forest the wood in the background is part of the monkey forest and the A34 was quite busy

P1010813.jpg

the buck on the left only had 3 legs i saw when he stood up

P1010848.jpg

and as i walked back to the car this bunch came running from a piece of rough just by the roundabout to the entrance of the monkey forest and joined the others i had just photod
P1010851.jpg

i went past them today,they are always there mate.just been in the local papers about they have been culled.tree huggers were not happy :cry:

you bugger tika
it cost me £30 in fuel to drive up there specialy to take these pics for you
time you bought a camera :lol:
hope you hav one for next weekend cause i want to see proof incase the gods are on your side

i will do my very best mate,steyr243 is the camera man :D .i have tried to get on ground all around there but no good :cry: .never mind try try again as they say.

Very good pictures. Wish we had a few of those locally.

I know Fallow come in several colour schemes but is that brown/grey pelage (menil?) typical for most wild populations?

The reason I ask that most of the lighter common Fallow I see pictures of seem to be taken in parks. Whilst all the free living wild Fallow pictures on websites such as this and in magazines seem to be of this much darker variety.

hi mudman
these are most commonly called black fallow but yes they seem to be the most common colour of our wild stock been looking through my pics and don't seem to hav any other colours than that , though some film footage i hav are of different colours but not sure how to post it , i think with park deer they are of a specific breeding plan so colour variations are few and far apart
but holkam park has a big population of white fallow
and i also hav a few white on my ground aswell as a few light brown and even a yellow doe which in time will become white i think
but that is an intereresting point you hav made
as we hav so many colour variations and our common fallow is getting rarer and the menil is taking over or hav i got it mixed up

Back