Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chrony siting distance

Chrony siting distance

Just wondering what others do.

1. How far do you site you chrony from the muzzle, do you measure it accurately everytime or just estimate the distance
    2. Can you see a difference in speed with a mod fitted.

The destructions that come with them give around ten feet on average, to place from muzzle, I have not seen any changes to velocity with or without a moderator, (probably as I need to shoot with one on ), I would reckon that if you are within a pace or two it really wouldn't make a great deal of difference.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Ok, put your hands up, who has shot and killed a chronograph? I've wounded one but it survived. JC

Account Suspended
    I could probably get away with 10ft from my .223 but my "deer" rifles give off a bit more blast so I generally go for 15ft. (Too close and you might damage the chrono or get false readings from airborne detritus) Not "true" MV I know, but you could always get a ballistics programme to back calc if you were that fussy.

Quote Originally Posted by JC275 View Post
    Ok, put your hands up, who has shot and killed a chronograph? I've wounded one but it survived. JC

Haahah. Not saying!
    KevinF -

One at 10 ft, one at 53 yards and one at 103 yards... all in a line. I get to measure the actual ballistic coefficient that way.~Muir

A few years back I posed the question to a 'Shooting Times' expert. the answer came back as, Ten feet from the muzzle and add between 10 and 20 fps for "as near as dammit" the true muzzle velocity.

You'll have the anti's after you shooting these poor defenseless chrono's !!!, shame on you, all the same it's not an uncommon occurrance, I'll put my hands up to shooting a piece out of the roofbar on the motor after I'd snook up on a rabbit ...callie