Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tarnished bullet tips

Tarnished bullet tips

Bought some Remmy 55g Accutip bullet heads very cheap from a dealer. Looks like they haev been stored in bulk and not in 100 round cases. All look ok but the jacket is a bit tarnished. Dont imagine this will casue any issue with accuracy but having a bit of OCD I would like them to be mint before I load them. Does anyone think it would cause a problem if I put them in my ultrasonic bath for a cycle? I tried leaving one for an hour in Vinegar and it came up nice. Would this weaken the jacket?

Quote Originally Posted by stevienicknacks View Post
    Bought some Remmy 55g Accutip bullet heads very cheap from a dealer. Looks like they haev been stored in bulk and not in 100 round cases. All look ok but the jacket is a bit tarnished. Dont imagine this will casue any issue with accuracy but having a bit of OCD I would like them to be mint before I load them. Does anyone think it would cause a problem if I put them in my ultrasonic bath for a cycle? I tried leaving one for an hour in Vinegar and it came up nice. Would this weaken the jacket?
    Chuck em in a tumbler for 20 minutes, they'll come out like brand new!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

You guys are enough to make me weep.~Muir

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    You guys are enough to make me weep.~Muir
    I'm sitting here thinking, if I wanted to take a precision engineered component and "de-engineer" it an ideal way to do that might be to chuck it into a bucket full of other precision engineered components and swill it around for a while with some grinding paste. Am I getting this wrong?

Yeah. I'm of that opinion as well. Moreover, I can't see all this "pretty reloads" stuff. Tarnished bullets will still shoot quite well. I bought several thousand 33 grain V-Max that had water stains on the nose from the final rinse. They shoot tiny groups.~Muir

Yeah. I'm of that opinion as well. Moreover, I can't see all this "pretty reloads" stuff. Tarnished bullets will still shoot quite well. I bought several thousand 33 grain V-Max that had water stains on the nose from the final rinse. They shoot tiny groups.~Muir
    Must have been Holy Water!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

If Muir says they will shoot straight thats good enough for me. I do like my reloads to look good, purely becasue im a bit of a perfectionist, I dont do any range shooting and foxy aint gunna know the difference. I was more concerned as to whether it could make a difference or not.

Less likely to see em coming if they're not all shiney.
    You could always give em bit of buff with a cloth once they're loaded if you so desired.
    Neil.

Give the finished round a spin in a brasso coated rag and it will come up like new. Use the end of the lee case trimmer in a cordless drill if you have one.

No point in cleaning before then if it is just for apearances.

IMHO

A guy I used to buy most of my guns from used to have a saying, (no matter how much you pay for a gun or ammunition it still makes the same noise, if you like it use it) which just about covers most things and I think he was probably right.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY