Thread: Etip and ballistic tip- differences

Etip and ballistic tip- differences

Does anyone know the difference between nosler etip and nosler ballistic tip. I want to know if there is any difference in damage on the meat. Is the etip kinder?

Not really much differance but you do get some really scary richochets with the etips

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    Does anyone know the difference between nosler etip and nosler ballistic tip. I want to know if there is any difference in damage on the meat. Is the etip kinder?
    Eddie, the Nosler Balistic tip is a bullet of fairly conventional lead cored, copper jacketed and essentially, hollow pointed, construction. It has a nice long ogive and that polymer tip (insert) which mean they've usually got pretty good ballistic co-efficients, for their weight. That means they don't slow down so soon and thus tend to give slightly flatter trajectories.
    The E-tip might look similar and give good ballistics but it's a lead free projectile. It's made of solid copper/gilding metal with a hollow point and a polymer tip insert. These things are of very dubious benefit. Sweep's already mentioned the richochet problem. There's also a question mark over what they might do to rifle barrels. Conventional bullets tend to deform to fit the rifling more easily than solids. Barrrel makers (and I'm thinking here specifically of one in the Scottish Borders) will tell you tales of "solids" causing the rifling to make an appearance on the outside of the barrel. I'm not saying E-tips will do this but I would say, unless you have some legal need to use them, you're probably better off with conventional bullets. Though, it also has to be said BalTi's do have a rep for "good" expansion, which I can confirm is well deserved. The "Not really much differance" reply (above) you can now judge for yourself. Regards... Tom.

Heard mutterings of timber process workers having serious problems relating to embedded monometal projectiles, don't know how much truth is in the matter, but I have it on good authority that tree sections have been launched throught shed roofs on meeting large nails.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

why worry about meat damage ? Lost deer = 100% meat damage. Some of these harder bullets do not expand enough resulting in less hydrostatic shock and a deer which will run any die eventually from loss of blood rather than organ trauma. BT's every time for me

Thanks guys. Regards, Ed.