25-06 v 30-06.........it has been decided...........

Cut+Squirt

After weeks of fussing around trying to decide whether to apply for a 30-06 or a
25-06.................it has been decided..............the 25-06 won in the end.
Variation posted today......

With this in mind does anyone have a link to the Home Office Guidance on calibre / quarry.

CADEX

i shot a lot with the 25,06 and 10 times as much with a 270 .never owned a 30,06 .but seen clients use it .. all ideal cals for ireland/england . but one is more ideal than the other two .

i had a 25.06 put on my ticket this year (not got one yet) but they would only grant it for deer and fox whilst stalking. but it depends where you live around the country to be honest them guidlines dont seem to bother some areas.

Just got one myself, used to belong to a good mate who loved it I know he knocked reds over nicely with it often enough.

Guys I posted this thread in 2010 . . . I bought the 25-06, over the last 3 years it has claimed a good head of roe and red {and crows Tony:lol:} and now its spending the remainder of its days in Kent.

For anyone interested i'm now shooting a .222 with a semi custom .308 in the pipeline ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree Redmist . . .the 25-06 is a nice cartidge to shoot, easy on the shoulder and just about ideal for all UK species of deer . . mine took its fair share of roe and red. . . .
I found the 100 grainers to be as flat as a lazer but caused excessive meat damage and bruising . . I tried virtually every weight and eventually settled on 117 grain for all species.

I've owned a number of 25-06's over the years and I gotta admit the first few with handloads didn't shoot from shyte !

The first one I had that really shot well was one of the first Remington Sendero stainless fluted that came into our area , that thing was a consistent 1/4 MOA gun for 3 at 100 with the Sierra 85 grain . Later I had a remington 700BDL DM that shot about 3/4 MOA with the Nosler 115 BT , killed half a dozen or so deer with this combo . Since then I got a Browning B-78 with an octagon barrel that was made in the mid 70's and a Ruger #1B that was made in the 90's . Sold the Browning not to long ago although it shot nicely with the Hornady 117 SST and the Ruger does okay with the 117 SST as well . Yesterday I picked up the Ranger Arms left handed bolt action 25-06 that was made between 68 and 72 , hopefully my wife will be able to handle this one if I can get it to shoot to suit me .
In the past I've only killed whitetails and groundhogs with the 25-06 and it's done very nicely . For many years I thought the 25-06 was THE PREMIER groundhog round now I'm kinda back to the 222 , 220 Swift and 243 but thats another subject .

Anyway the 25-06 should serve my wife well for any deer she may shoot in her lifetime . I doubt if she'll deer hunt for anything other then whitetails , Sika deer , perhaps mulies , possibly Roe and Red's at a nuch later date !

Of the 06 based cartridges the 25-06 is in my top three !

1. 6.5-06
2. 280 REM
3. 25-06
4. 338-06
5. 9.3x62
6. 270 WIN
7. 30-06
8. 35 Whelen
9. 400 Whelen
10. 6mm-06

Just a cheeky question ,or two.
Did the 30 06 give birth to the 9.3x62?
Do you think Whelen new about the 9.3x62 when he did his 35?

Cheers Sharkey

Had a 25-06 for a number of years, excellent cartridge,,,limited by bullet choice.

30-06 more versatile IMHO

115gr BT Kills all UK Deer like chain lightening and doesn't cause excessive meat damage what more bullet choice do you require?

I've owned a number of 25-06's over the years and I gotta admit the first few with handloads didn't shoot from shyte !

The first one I had that really shot well was one of the first Remington Sendero stainless fluted that came into our area , that thing was a consistent 1/4 MOA gun for 3 at 100 with the Sierra 85 grain . Later I had a remington 700BDL DM that shot about 3/4 MOA with the Nosler 115 BT , killed half a dozen or so deer with this combo . Since then I got a Browning B-78 with an octagon barrel that was made in the mid 70's and a Ruger #1B that was made in the 90's . Sold the Browning not to long ago although it shot nicely with the Hornady 117 SST and the Ruger does okay with the 117 SST as well . Yesterday I picked up the Ranger Arms left handed bolt action 25-06 that was made between 68 and 72 , hopefully my wife will be able to handle this one if I can get it to shoot to suit me .
In the past I've only killed whitetails and groundhogs with the 25-06 and it's done very nicely . For many years I thought the 25-06 was THE PREMIER groundhog round now I'm kinda back to the 222 , 220 Swift and 243 but thats another subject .

Anyway the 25-06 should serve my wife well for any deer she may shoot in her lifetime . I doubt if she'll deer hunt for anything other then whitetails , Sika deer , perhaps mulies , possibly Roe and Red's at a nuch later date !

Of the 06 based cartridges the 25-06 is in my top three !

1. 6.5-06
2. 280 REM
3. 25-06
4. 338-06
5. 9.3x62
6. 270 WIN
7. 30-06
8. 35 Whelen
9. 400 Whelen
10. 6mm-06

Now why don't we hear more .280's over here. I really like my 7-08 and with the selection of 7mm bullets and a non belted case I would think it would be more popular?

I shoot a 25-06 sako love it alsome round went to it after having a bad time with a heym Sr21 270

my 25-06 give me my first deer a roe buck 130yard on a beautiful evening one of my very best memory
I love 25-06 it's given me many a happy hour sat out freezing waiting for deer and foxes

i use a 75gr vmax home load for foxes and its works a treat
not to messy at all and drops them on the spot

now working in improving my group size with my 30-06
It is a different beast but I think I am going to love it

Last edited:
Back