Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what would you do.

what would you do.

hi iv,e got a bit of a dilema. i own a gwp bitch she,s 8 months old i,m training her up as a tracking dog, she,s coming along ok very bidable. my only concern is that she is very soft are they a naturally soft dog.
    i was thinking of getting a bmh and selling the gwp on as a rough shooting dog, should i percevere on or sell her on, thanks

Stick with the dog. my GWP had me thinking when it was a young dog that it might not be up to the job , it would run away from most things dead but now is a great shooting companion and deer finder who just wants to search for deer.Take things slowly and give it plenty of successful finds and praise.

Cheers Davie

SHEis only a baby, you need take time give chance mature phsically and mentally, most of all make it fun while she learning, whats her breeding any chance photo rgds Alex

thanks for the replies, i think i will keep her as you say alex she,s only a baby.
    she is bred from irish parents neither were stalking dogs just working gundogs
    i will try to get a picture up but i,m not to hot on the computer. thanks the scudd

hi iv also got a gwp who is 7 months old shes coming on really well with gun dog training and i was wondering if you have any advice on when and how to start training her as a deer tracking dog???

Stick with it mate, underneath that soft biddable nature lies a beast! Both wires i have had have been very easy going until the poop hits the fan and they change do the job then change back again. No more scrapping or fears of them retrieving jack Russell's just intense work and drive.

Sell her scudd she will never make a tracking dog if she dont rush in and grab any dog that jumps when a crisp poke rattles of takes flight when a childs toy is in the wrong place will not take up the many challanges of a stalking companion. Only kidding mate your dog is not even old enough to evaluate and while you can start the training the dogs attitued will be totally differnt when it is an adult.

what would do

Quote Originally Posted by the scudd View Post
    hi iv,e got a bit of a dilema. i own a gwp bitch she,s 8 months old i,m training her up as a tracking dog, she,s coming along ok very bidable. my only concern is that she is very soft are they a naturally soft dog.
    i was thinking of getting a bmh and selling the gwp on as a rough shooting dog, should i percevere on or sell her on, thanks
    hi you have nothing to worry about as she is very young , i have 2 h.w.v they can be very soft & sensitive but when it hits the fan they will do the job .
    dont push her too hard and when it does happen you may be a bit surprised at how hard she will go in on a dead or wounded deer, dont jump in and stop her she will soon calm down .
    you could give her a deer head to play with because if a shot deer is alive that is the end they need to get hold of,or better still use a full one try and get her to hold the neck .

Keep trying. My wirehaired Vis finally turned his brain on at 18 months.In this country we expect too much of a young dog .In hungary they teach the dog to come ,sit etc then in horse talk 'turn them away' for a while,this enable them to mature and get used to life .At 12months my HWV was gun nervous and velcroed to my leg, now at 4 years is an superb pointing and beating dog with a nose like Radar will do a 48 hr aged track no problem and will grab or hold at bay according to need. Gentle training and enjoy the
    puppyhood

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arthur.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	525.7 KB 
ID:	2864 .

As a matter of interest, at what age do people think a gwp will "turn its brain on"?