Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible. Vennison supplies.

Is it possible. Vennison supplies.

In the uk we cannot supply the needs for supermarkets & shops with vennison. Waitrose etc are struggling to keep the demand, where most meat is brought in from New Zealand, for the Uk market . In the Uk the supply from British soil is approx 3-4% , to the food chain, this says we do not have enough going in from wild, or enough deer farming. With the benefits of the meat (omega 3 etc etc) for health & its natural goodness. Why is not more vennison comming into the food chain, from wild ' organic ' deer.
    Can the farming of , & managing of wild Deer, posibly come together ? We have the land !

http://www.bdfa.co.uk/

I seem to remember N.Z supply 200,000 Animals for market !
    Last edited by MrYou; 29-09-2010 at 09:37.

Quote Originally Posted by MrYou View Post
    Why is not more vennison comming into the food chain, from wild ' organic ' deer.
    There lies the problem in in your post, it cannot be described as 'organic' because it is wild, in other words it roams from one farm to another eating organic and non organic food, i know this because i tried to sell to a large chain and the first question was 'is it organic?'
    Though i doubt that the NZ stuff is organic.

I think a lot of British venison goes for export.

Cheers

Richard

Fact is we do not have enough, yet as i wander thoughout Yorkshire & Northumbria,there is so much empty land. I use the term' organic' loose (As most see the word as 'free range')
    Best W

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    There lies the problem in in your post, it cannot be described as 'organic' because it is wild, in other words it roams from one farm to another eating organic and non organic food, i know this because i tried to sell to a large chain and the first question was 'is it organic?'
    Though i doubt that the NZ stuff is organic.

I think a lot of British venison goes for export.

Cheers

Richard

More's the pity. As for "Organics".... Absolute hokum... you've pushed a button here BTW ... Grrrr...
    Off topic ? (perhaps)... here's but one instance of one of the many, many problems of "Organics".

http://www.fwi.co.uk/Articles/2005/0...ondon-shop.htm

Then google "ergotism" if you've got time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    More's the pity. As for "Organics".... Absolute hokum... you've pushed a button here BTW ... Grrrr...
    I agree, bloody hokum, but trying to convince the woman on the end of the phone was like knocking your head against a brick wall.
    Cheers
    Richard

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by MrYou View Post
    In the uk we cannot supply the needs for supermarkets & shops with vennison. Waitrose etc are struggling to keep the demand, where most meat is brought in from New Zealand, for the Uk market . In the Uk the supply from British soil is approx 3-4% , to the food chain, this says we do not have enough going in from wild, or enough deer farming. With the benefits of the meat (omega 3 etc etc) for health & its natural goodness. Why is not more vennison comming into the food chain, from wild ' organic ' deer.
    Can the farming of , & managing of wild Deer, posibly come together ? We have the land !

http://www.bdfa.co.uk/

I seem to remember N.Z supply 200,000 Animals for market !

If the game dealers ferking paid more I might consider taking it to them instead of giving it away to family and friends I cant be arsed trailing it miles to get it to the game dealers cooler and the price the give dosent cover the petrol so theres the rub

If i remember rightly there is a deer farmer on here somewhere.

What do you need to farm deer as opposed to sheep (with the exception obviously of massive fences!)

Is poaching an issue as they are out all year? how about the amount of ground needed per deer compared to sheep / cattle

Dan

If Venison dealers are making 400% profit (as was quoted on here) on it where is the incentive for mugs like us to sell to them?
    What meat can you buy for 1/lb? Ox liver?

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    I agree, bloody hokum, but trying to convince the woman on the end of the phone was like knocking your head against a brick wall.
    Cheers
    Richard
    Sorry Richard, I hope you didn't think I was having a go at you. It's that psuedo-religious, sanctimonious, we're better than thou, attitude; which is the foundation of the bewilderingly random and wholely arbitrary set of roolz that make up "Organics", that ticks me off.

"Organic's" is a Marketing tool and nothing more (despite their holier than thou attitude), in my view. Sadly, it's also a very derrogatory and negative, marketing tool with no real science to back up the claims.

Free ranging venison might be a more variable product but provided the inspection/selection/handling and presentation processes are up to snuff it's as wholesome as anything else... and an efficient use of resources to boot.

The problem is we the uk can buy it cheaper from newzealand. The export market for our roe is still there but not at the price it was. But we the stalker will work round this problem let the uk import and do what they want and we can sell our own. To local resturants and local people etc. SWVA scheme seems to be helping the landowners but not stalkers on the ground and the infrastruture in most areas is not there.