Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hilux winch, anyone fitted one to the flat bed

Hilux winch, anyone fitted one to the flat bed

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has fitted a winch to the flat bed of their Hilux?
    When i dropped off a deer to the game dealer recently there was another guy there with a L200 and he had fitted the winch as above.
    If so does anyone have any recommendations for a winch and where to get one please?
    I never had any problem getting big stags into my Jeep Cherokee but with the Hilux it is a struggle.

Cheers

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has fitted a winch to the flat bed of their Hilux?
    When i dropped off a deer to the game dealer recently there was another guy there with a L200 and he had fitted the winch as above.
    If so does anyone have any recommendations for a winch and where to get one please?
    I never had any problem getting big stags into my Jeep Cherokee but with the Hilux it is a struggle.

Cheers

Richard
    Look at the 'Superwinch' range available from Machinemart and other places. Get one with the four roller fairlead. Get a bigger one than you think you need, the capacities quoted are when using a snatch block not a straight wire (check this, I could be wrong) but they are the 'lift' capacity rather than 'drag' which obviously requires less effort. I would advise mounting the winch higher than the truck bed, ideally on the bulkhead/frame at the cab roof height. JC

i use a winch in a bag, have a socket on the battery to plug an extension lead into. http://www.superwinch.com/Winch_In_A_Bag.html

I have an L200, ive fitted a Warne RT25 to mine for red extraction.

The vehicle is fitted with a Safety Devices roll cage (full cage) by the previous owner and I made a bracket out of half an I beam and welded that to the upper section of X bar at the rear of the cab (in the tub), this provides a high mounting point for the winch and allows easy winch (via a ramp ive made) into the rear tub.

I know the FC fitted some winches to their Rangers in a similar way using a brace bar which extends through the tub and welded to the chassis - the winch being mounted about two feet above floor level.

If you must fit the winch at floor level, you will need a fairlead on the outer edge to prcvent the wire rope cutting into the bed and obviously some large "washers" or plate around the mounting points to stiffen the tub base.

I chose to mount high for ease of use, easy cleaning and it allows more space to be utilised in the load area.

I can post a pic or two if you like to get the idea.
    Last edited by Ronin; 29-09-2010 at 15:36.

hi,

i install winches to quads i sell and have done so for two years or so.
    i will not post the model here in case it looks like i am advertising but i am happy to pm anyone the link to it. 65 is all they cost and they are easy to install.
    why pay more and pay someone to install it.
    i dont own have anything to do with them in any shape.

hope that helps anyone looking for one and i am happy to offer advice on how to install it.

f.

Richard

as requested:

The winch is mounted on a sectioned I beam thats welded to the existing roll cage - as described in previous post.

Pretty certain that something similar can be fashioned for the HL with a brace to stop rearward flex when winching.

This set up will pull my just about anything within the winches pulling capabilities (including the vehicle) without a problem.

My set-up is very similar to Redmist's. Two comments that I would make for anyone thinking of doing this are: If you weld, drill or otherwise alter a factory fitted roll over protection device it will probably invalidate the warranty and give the HSE the excuse they need to crucify you if there is ever an accident. If its your own truck etc then you probably couldn't care less but it is something to consider if you are employed. I got over this by bolting the winch on in a way so that it clamps over the bar. The other point is, when the hook is not in use, fix it to a loop of rope or tape and put a little bit of tension on it, this saves you getting slack build up on the reel and, if it is operated by accident, you will have a weak link that will break before the winch damages itself which is what happens if it is simply hooked onto the frame (been there done that!) JC
    Last edited by JC275; 21-10-2010 at 10:53.

Many thanks chaps, pictures explain it well, thanks for the time taking and posting them.
    Cheers
    Richard

Just bought one from this place for my quad all they sell are winches & accessories.

www.electricwinchshop.com

John