Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zeiss 3-12x50 or used Swarovski 4-12x50

Zeiss 3-12x50 or used Swarovski 4-12x50

I can buy a used swarovski with a 25mm tube for the same price as a Zeis Diralyt with a 30mm tube, which is the better for low light?

i dont own either of these scopes but i have looked through both and for me it would be the swaro every time i just think there glass is that much clearer and the picture is super crisp but thats not to say that a ziess is a bad scope by any means

yeah, I think the used swaro prob has the better glass but the only issue I have really is that it only has a 25mm tube but the Zeiss has a 30mm will this make a difference in the field

The 4-12 swaro is a very light scope, if I remember right only around 400grams.
    Built for the american market. I don't think the glass will be any better or worse
    than the zeiss. Maybe the zeiss is a little stronger in the field due to it's 30mm tube.
    edi

I doubt if you would be disapointed with either.

The tube diameter makes no difference to the light transmission.

If you have other rifles and scopes then there is some mileage in staying with either 1" or 30mm so that your scopes are interchangeable but this is not really a big deal.

I would say that Swarovski are a company that is going from strength to strength, building on good solid high quality products backed up by legendary customer service.

Zeiss on the other hand seem to be twisting and turning, producing cheaper ranges and then not supporting these to the same standard that they do their top end stuff.

I would contact Zeiss UK before purchasing any product and confirm the warrantee details in writing as I know that the UK main man has publicly critisised the US 'Conquest' range. Not saying Zeiss are crap, far from it, I have two pairs of their binos, just check the small print.

JC

I don't think you would notice the tube difference . But ask yourself why a used swaro has held a good price ? And it is unlikely to lose any more value unless you damage it ! What price would you get for the Ziess when it is second hand ?

I would go for the Swaro's or a second hand Zeiss Victory, the Victory glass is far better than the Diralyt these are cheap for one reason the glass is no as good, As for 25 mm or 30 mm i dont think it makes much difference to light, but i purchased 30 mm just incase it did.

DS

Quote Originally Posted by DEER STALKER View Post
    I would go for the Swaro's or a second hand Zeiss Victory, the Victory glass is far better than the Diralyt these are cheap for one reason the glass is no as good, As for 25 mm or 30 mm i dont think it makes much difference to light, but i purchased 30 mm just incase it did.

DS
    Is that based on experience with the Duralyt ? Not had a chance to look through one yet but interested to see what they are like , i have chosen Zeiss over Swarovski in the past but not had a chance to compare their latest offerings head to head in the field (and looking through them in a shop is no substitute ).
    The 30mm tube is unlikely to increase percieved light transmission through the tube , but it will most likely be stronger and have a wider adjustment range for windage / elevation.

I own both these scopes.
    I can tell you that 30mm tubes only afford a greater zoom range than 25mm and light transmission is not relevant.Hence the Zeiss being 3-12 and the Swaro being 4-12.
    If I were to buy either of these scopes again I would buy the Zeiss. I have had Swaro scopes for 20 yrs but recently have lost confidence in the brand.
    McLeods of Tain tell me they are getting huge numbers of returned Swaro scopes not holding zero on moderated rifles. My new 4-12 Swaro was returned twice for this.
    The Zeiss Duralyt is a new model, hopefully designed to perform on moderated rifles(as most now are)and up to date mine is faultless.
    S.

Quote Originally Posted by Schiehallion View Post
    I own both these scopes.
    I can tell you that 30mm tubes only afford a greater zoom range than 25mm and light transmission is not relevant.Hence the Zeiss being 3-12 and the Swaro being 4-12.
    If I were to buy either of these scopes again I would buy the Zeiss. I have had Swaro scopes for 20 yrs but recently have lost confidence in the brand.
    McLeods of Tain tell me they are getting huge numbers of returned Swaro scopes not holding zero on moderated rifles. My new 4-12 Swaro was returned twice for this.
    The Zeiss Duralyt is a new model, hopefully designed to perform on moderated rifles(as most now are)and up to date mine is faultless.
    S.
    Sounds a bit odd - why would they perform worse on a moderated rifle than one without ?
    A moderator will soak up some recoil - thus reducing 'shock' to the scope , unless of course the symptoms are actually worse on unmoderated rifles as an untold part of the story .