Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Found a NEW one

Found a NEW one

Some little while ago I bought a new Tikka T3 Lite in .243. Sadly I thought I must have a stalking rifle with a moderator because every one else has got one.
    Well I picked up my new Tikka which seemed rather short in the barrel but 'hay-ho'. The moderator came slightly after which was no problem.
    When I put them together to be honest...........HATED IT
    Never even wanted to shoot it, had to get rid of it. To make matters worse when I rung GMK, Yes its a special order now to get a rifle not threaded for a moderator and that order takes approx SIX months.
    Well a bit of resurch on the Guntrader website found me a brand new .243 Tikka Hunter at Greefields of Salisbury. A VERY good deal was done today and I have traded my Tikka Lite and have now just completed and sent off my variation.
    The point or rather the question is am I the only stalker/rifle shooter that hates moderators and feels that they ruin the looks of a classic style stalking rifle.

Glad you found a good deal, but I don't understand why you had to change the whole rifle just because you didn't want to use a moderator?!

Alex

I was the same with my two Sakos,when I had them done ,in my opinion I thought the guns were ruined,but it seems the done thing now,but having said that I can now shoot my 30.06 without losing the sight picture,so at least something good has come out of it.

Certainly agree. The prohunter with mod is unballanced and uncomfortable. Might as well have a scaffold tube on a plank. The sauer is not and never will be threaded. The beauty is the comfort and ballance. Most certainly mod is last resort,
    Jim

Well I'm a bit of both. I've had mostly lightweight hunting rifles that have all had screw cuts for mods but, being light weight barrels, I've been limited to tiny 1/2 inch UNF threads holding a large lump of metal to te gun. My experiences have generally not been good and have had all sorts of problems retaining a constant zero when the mod was removed an replaced. This isn't helped when you find that many mods sit on the crown and not on the flange at the bottom of the screw cut. I also tried both over barrel types as well as stick on the end cans. I eventually stopped using them because of the issues with zero. Sako were pretty helpful but did sort of tactfully suggest that if you buy a super light barrelled hunting rifle that been designed to be light (because you don't want the weight) then it's not really designed to have a 3/4 kilo lump of metalwork stuffed on the front ! Ok, point taken I thought.

Since then I've gone heavier barrelled and had 17mm treads properly cut so the mod if fitted corrrectly to barrel and the crown preserved and, I must admit, I'm a total convert. I've gone short barrelled as well so sticking an ASE compact mod on the front doesn't muck up the balance. Does it spoil the looks ? Well if it's blued steel and walnut, then probably yes but if it's plastic and stainless......who knows but I feel ok about it. Mind you, I expect the same question was asked decades ago about scopes spoiling the classic lines of a rifle.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    Glad you found a good deal, but I don't understand why you had to change the whole rifle just because you didn't want to use a moderator?!

Alex
    I can understand Sako3006's problem.... he said, "it seemed rather short in the barrel". Of course, Tikka's traditionally were a bit stubby, lop more off to keep the moderated length down and well... is this Deja Vu... again?

I do like the Sauer Stutzen though (20" bbl isn't it?) Beautifully balanced shorty.... must be that extra wood

Your'e certainly not alone mate i personally can't stand the things i have no need for one on my stalking rifles and really would hate to mess up lovely guns by adding one, but i do use one for rabbits on a .17hmr for obvious reasons but for stalking no way,got to agree does seem the trend these days to have one i'm happy to be a diehard though don't shoot any less deer because of it either.
    Neil.

I would quite happily not use a mod on my rifle when I finally get it.....But I have my permission on the agreement a mod is used on all rifles and given the choice no stalking and no mod or stalking and a mod....no brainer

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakaras View Post
    I would quite happily not use a mod on my rifle when I finally get it.....But I have my permission on the agreement a mod is used on all rifles and given the choice no stalking and no mod or stalking and a mod....no brainer
    Hang on, are you saying your FAC is going to be conditioned so that you MUST only shoot with a moderator fitted?... Surely not.

It's only a few years ago that FEO's around here were dead against "Silencers" cos "they simply didn't work".

Have times really changed this much?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    I can understand Sako3006's problem.... he said, "it seemed rather short in the barrel". Of course, Tikka's traditionally were a bit stubby, lop more off to keep the moderated length down and well... is this Deja Vu... again?

I do like the Sauer Stutzen though (20" bbl isn't it?) Beautifully balanced shorty.... must be that extra wood
    The factory threaded T3 lites are 20" and I think are rather well balanced personally, at least my .223 is. My factory threaded Sako 85 synthetic is also 20" and is nice and pointy too - in fact I use it for driven boar (without the mod). It's a very light rifle though and whilst nice for driven it's a bit lively for stalking and the moderator tames it down nicely.

I suppose it boils down to personal preference really at the end of the day.

Alex

(Well done for finding yourself another kindred spirit for your anti short barrel movement though... )