Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lightening a trigger

Lightening a trigger

Hi all,

Was hoping I could ask the forums advice on something thats been bugging me for a while. I'm shooting a Ruger 77 Hawkeye in .243, really happy with this rifle, its light, rugged and accurate. The one thing that I want to improve on it however is the trigger, I find the pressure a little too much and it ocassionally effects my shot (Well thats what Im blaming it on anyways!)
    I've two questions really 1) Can the factory trigger be adjusted, im thinking not.
    2) Are there any alternative replacement - adjustable triggers I could fit into this rifle without too much hassle.

Thanks in advance for reading/commenting, your helps always appreciated

steve

Order a "Rifle Basix" replacement trigger from Midway or the like. Replace the factory trigger with the new one. Throw the factory trigger over the nearest convenient hedge...
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Timney triggers are also good and easily fitted. Claret dabblers comment re hedges is correct.

Have you got a Lansky sharpening kit for knives?

I used my diamond guides on the trigger pall (spelling) and sear and took off all the rough edges and it works a treat. The M77 is a poxy old mauser copy and it is a simple job once you have the stock off.

Only attempt is you are comfy with the process though, a good gunsmith will lighten for an hours labour.

Quote Originally Posted by dieseldan View Post
    Have you got a Lansky sharpening kit for knives?

I used my diamond guides on the trigger pall (spelling) and sear and took off all the rough edges and it works a treat. The M77 is a poxy old mauser copy and it is a simple job once you have the stock off.

Only attempt is you are comfy with the process though, a good gunsmith will lighten for an hours labour.
    Actually the M77 is heavily influenced by the Mannlicher not the Mauser. I suppose your wonderful Swiss rifle has no Mauser influences at all?

Oh just had a funny thought. My crappy, according to you, BSA only need the ther screws adjusting............................... no stones just one allen key . but then it is old school unlike your sooper doopy placcky thing .

i have just brought a timney trigger from timney in the states 100 to my door fitted it in two mins, dont bother spending good money taking it to a gun smith for ajustments aint worth it throw it! timneys can be ordered with what pull you wish comes with 3 pos safety also you wont be dissapointed
    jew'y

can be done with a file if you have the patiance.

Dave

Gents,

Hi there, sorry for the delay in getting back to you all been away for a couple of days. Thanks alot for all the advice, appreciate your experience on this. So its either but a replacement (sound pretty easy to fit too!) or do a bit of fettling on the existing trigger components... going by some of my past adventures into DIY i think its best if i go with the replacement trigger system lol

Once again, thanks alot lads hope I can help you out some time in the future

Steve

I am not interested in viewing you puerile ***** anymore and have added you to my ignore list, suggest you do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by brithunter View Post
    actually the m77 is heavily influenced by the mannlicher not the mauser. I suppose your wonderful swiss rifle has no mauser influences at all?

Oh just had a funny thought. My crappy, according to you, bsa only need the ther screws adjusting............................... No stones just one allen key :d. But then it is old school unlike your sooper doopy placcky thing .
    Last edited by dieseldan; 06-10-2010 at 11:37.

Quote Originally Posted by dieseldan View Post
    I am not interested in viewing you puerile ***** anymore and have added you to my ignore list, suggest you do the same.
    Oh dear soemone has chucked the dummy out of the pram .

Ahhh Steve,

(sound pretty easy to fit too!) or do a bit of fettling on the existing trigger components... going by some of my past adventures into DIY i think its best if i go with the replacement trigger system
    If you check the Brownells and Midway USA sites then you will probably find a couple at least of replacement triggers for the Ruger 77 then it just a case of finding a vendor who will sell to the UK or a dealer here with the account to order it for you. Good luck with you venture and let us know how it turns out.