proof house question

dropmdead

I was wondering, when you have firearms proofed from the proof house, do they clean the barrel after shooting their two or three over charged rounds, or is the onus on the RFD/gunsmith/me to clean once back in my possession.
My question is really about the timeline of carbon/unburned powder in a brand new barrel before having the opportunity to clean it.

I was wondering, when you have firearms proofed from the proof house, do they clean the barrel after shooting their two or three over charged rounds, or is the onus on the RFD/gunsmith/me to clean once back in my possession.
My question is really about the timeline of carbon/unburned powder in a brand new barrel before having the opportunity to clean it.

They will not clean it for you, thats down to you or your RFD, usually you!

The Proof House (London or Birmingham) will not clean your rifle after theyve done their "thing"

They will push a patch through prior to each shot to confirm there is no obstruction in the bore.

Its up to you, or your rifle builder to clean after recieving the weapon back from proof.

I tend to put a few patches through with carbon / copper remover, but advise customers the barrel isnt totally clean before they start barrel break in.

Had a few guns (separate occasions) go lost for 4-6 months at Birmingham. When i got them back they had pitting. Birmingham refuses to accept responsibility. I have also had sights knocked off, swivels broken, bluing scratched, dents in barrels, etc etc.

imho, only way is to go there in-person with a same day appointment, no matter how long the drive is

PKL I'd threaten the Small Claims Court. A friend had a blackpowder Colt revolver ruined at the Proof House in Birmingham and did just that.They paid him the full retail on it and kept the gun. The Proof House has a duty of care. Couch your letter to that effect. Destruction of a gun by a proof charge is one thing. Ruination of it because it has been subsequently mishandled or subject to neglect is totally different. That they have damaged the gun...pitted it...is a breach of that duty of care.

Last edited:
you are joking your lucky to get your rifle back in one piece lmao

About spot on, they don't handle with care. Best to remove any item that can be damaged, thats including open sights stocks and scope mounts.

I learnt the hard way with the London proof house the dented a stock damaged a bolt handle and scraped the coating of one rifle I had just finished and this was with a booked walk-in and had the bloody cheek to tell me it was like it when it arrived! Except to the chaps bad luck and my good Fortune I was standing there talking to Richard the proof master when the rifle was dropped.

PKL I'd threaten the Small Claims Court. A friend had a blackpowder Colt revolver ruined at the Proof House in Birmingham and did just that.They paid him the full retail on it and kept the gun. The Proof House has a duty of care. Couch your letter to that effect. Destruction of a gun by a proof charge is one thing. Ruination of it because it has been subsequently mishandled or subject to neglect is totally different. That they have damaged the gun...pitted it...is a breach of that duty of care.

On at least one of those occasions they paid up having initially denied fault until I supplied photos and pointed out a missing component that was present when sent and not in packaging by return.
not a great reputation for care

Back